Talk

Advanced search

Mouldy Bath Seal

(17 Posts)
Hamleysmum Wed 21-Sep-11 14:21:55

Our Bath seal has started to go black and mouldy. Bathroom has been in for 2 years with no problems like this before. It looks awful! Any recommendations to shift it, or stop it happening inthe first place? Thanks.

babyocho Wed 21-Sep-11 14:24:03

When mine gets really bad I send up removing and resealing, its a real pita so interested in what others have to say

Ktay Wed 21-Sep-11 14:26:21

Our bathroom is downstairs in a flimsy, cold 1960s extension so quite prone to mould. We have to replace the silicone around the bath fairly often. To try and minimise the problem, I make sure I have the window open when showering and run the handtowel round the top of the bath after the last person's finished in the shower (then put the towel in the wash, just to clarify...). We also have underfloor heating on for at least a couple of hours a day (more at weekends).

pleasenap Wed 21-Sep-11 14:38:52

Marking my place - same problem here.

Plus how do you remove the old seal and do you need to treat and then what (in simple DIY-simpleton terms)?

Ktay Wed 21-Sep-11 14:43:25

TBH when I said 'we' I actually meant 'DH'. I think he takes the old stuff out with a Stanley knife and then uses one of those silicone guns to put in a new seal, using kitchen towel to clear up any messy lines. I get the impression it is a bit of a faff though.

Pudding2be Wed 21-Sep-11 14:43:29

Any bleach product will get rid. Plain bleach is just as good as Dettol mold and mildew spray or domestos grot buster and loads cheaper

Ktay Wed 21-Sep-11 14:45:06

I'm not sure there is any need to treat the underlying surface as you are just left with tiles, bath and a gap intbetween. But I think some of the brands of silicone you can buy are supposed to be mould-resistant (not that they have proven to be a permanent solution for us).

Pudding2be Wed 21-Sep-11 14:45:31

Sorry meant to add you need to leave it on for a little while and it will shift it

Mumoftwokids Wed 21-Sep-11 16:57:45

We had to remove ours in the end with some silicone remover and then reseal. Was a faff and took an hour of so, but was totally worth it, I smile everytime I see how lovely and clean it is (sad I know).

Silicone remover - bought in Homebase I think, next to the silicone products although I did see some in Wilkinsons too the other day so I think they must be available pretty much anywhere. Think the brand I used was HG but there were others avaliable. Also bought a scraper thingy too.

valiumredhead Wed 21-Sep-11 18:28:03

Soak some loo paper in GROTBUSTER bleach and leave it on top of mould all day - should remove it if you haven't had the mould there too long.

I use a microfibre cloth to dry the seal after every bath/shower now.

BeerTricksPotter Wed 21-Sep-11 18:39:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lovingthepeaceandquiet Wed 21-Sep-11 19:19:34

We had this problem and tried every product going. Nothing ever worked and we always ended up taking the silicone out....until I got some mould remover from Lakeland. It is truely AMAZING and I drove everyone mad raving about it blush. I really has changed my life blush blush blush.

www.lakeland.co.uk/20284/HG-Mould-Remover

LetUsPrey Wed 21-Sep-11 19:47:31

Just had a look for the HG mould remover online as well as on the Lakeland site. It seems like B&Q sell it too if you're not near a Lakeland and don't want to pay p+p

PublicHair Wed 21-Sep-11 19:49:56

grotbuster. although it trickled down and 'cut through' the grime covering on my bath,no i need to know how to remove that!

gailforcewind Wed 21-Sep-11 20:53:35

Dettox mould remover will completely remove this-brilliant! Lethal stuff though-wear gloves and open window- has a very overpowering bleachy smell.

sneakybeak Wed 21-Sep-11 21:11:04

One thing I learnt from my Dad was that when you put on new sealant, you should do it when the bath is full. It puts weight on it to make sure it doesn't stretch when it's filled again.

bigfatgypsy Wed 21-Sep-11 22:40:20

If you do get rid of it, or even if you end up putting fresh seal in, you can drastically reduce the mould coming back by wiping it down after every shower so the water doesn't linger. It's a bit of a faff but if you always keep a cloth nearby solely for this purpose it quickly becomes a habit and if you do end up re-sealing you won't want to have to do it again any time soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now