Talk

Advanced search

Slowcookers, the good and the bad?

(5 Posts)
Sandgroper Tue 20-Sep-11 17:25:21

Hi

I am contemplating getting one and wondered if anyone had any advice on which brands are good, which ones to avoid?

A friend has a "Crockpot" and raves about it!

Thanks

Fiolondon Tue 20-Sep-11 22:41:18

Hi. No idea about different brands but there are different sizes available. Make sure you get a size that will suit a family (or not) sized portion. I like mine for making beef and lamb tender but think it tends to intensify the flavours so it can be a bit ready meal-ish. That said really easy and great for a no fuss supper esp in the winter

AngelDog Tue 20-Sep-11 23:38:03

If I were going to get a new one, I'd pay the extra to get the timer function so it switches to 'keep warm' after a certain time.

Sandgroper Wed 21-Sep-11 16:33:48

Hi Fiolondon and AngelDog

Thanks for your responses and tips. I shall do a bit more research but you have convinced me that it is a good idea.... Now I just have to find some bench space for it!

AngelDog Wed 21-Sep-11 22:26:31

Oh, and the other thing I'd add is that it works best if you're big meat eaters. There are veggie recipes for the slow cooker but it works best for meat IMO. We don't eat that much meat and our DS can't eat tomatoes, which seem to be the staple of most veggie stew type things, so I don't use my cooker as often as I might. It's very useful for making stock overnight though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now