Talk

Advanced search

Please help me buy White Bedsheets

(5 Posts)
Flowerpot77 Mon 19-Sep-11 12:20:19

Hi, Any input greatly appreciated - i want to get rid of my multicoloured bedsheets and replace with just plain white - but there are so many different ones out there - basically i want good quality that dont crease easily and are easy to iron - dont get all this thread 200 etc business - can anyone help?

OohThatsMyTractor Mon 19-Sep-11 15:18:50

I did this about a year ago - best move ever! White looks fresh and crisp and it's so easy to keep it clean as you can just bung it in a hot wash with some laundry bleach and it comes out good as new. I have this duvet set and this bottom sheet from Marks and Spencer.

My OH is a permanently filthy farmer so our bedding gets changed very regularly and it gets washed really hot and it still looks as good as new. The best thing about this being seersucker is that it doesn't need ironing.

House of Fraser often do very good offers on bedding. As far as I understand, the higher the thread count the softer and better quality the sheet. In my experience 70% + cotton for bottom sheets is best, but I have always gone for 100% cotton with duvet and pillow cases. With the duvet set I linked to above, only the front of the duvet cover and pillow case is seersucker so you have the smooth side against you IYSWIM.

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 19-Sep-11 20:52:44

TK Maxx is always worth a ganger; they have some nice ranges at good prices. Of course, you have to weed out the crap too, however.

But my favourite place to stock up on high thread-count, lovely white linen is the John Lewis sale - but that would mean waiting until after Xmas...

And of course the lovely John Lewis have some info about bed linen - see HERE (under quality). With thread counts you want a high thread count, but also a long fibre, for max softness and loveliness. Some of the cheaper brands have high thread count, but with short fibres; imagine short fibres being used in a rope - the ends would all stick out and be rough. You'd not want this with your sheets either!

NatureAbhorsAHoover Tue 20-Sep-11 18:59:25

oohthatsmytractor is bang on the money, it is the sort of life-simplifying choice to just have all white that makes me smile. Don't care if that makes me shallow!

I also wash them on hot every now and then, there's nearly always something like a white t-shirt that I need to soak in Napisan first so I'll throw that in with its soaking water, and it keeps the sheets glacier white.

NatureAbhorsAHoover Tue 20-Sep-11 19:01:13

... and I buy basic all-cotton white company sheets. Job done. You simply can't go wrong with these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now