Talk

Advanced search

Help me buy a vacuum!

(10 Posts)
Jezabelle Mon 19-Sep-11 10:07:32

I need a new one as my Dyson has had it. It's my second Dyson and this one only lasted a few years so I'm not keen on getting another Dyson. A few friends have raved about Henry, but I find it a bit heavy. I'm not used to bags either, although I supposed I'd get used to them. I am looking to spend about £100, I know it's not much but it's all I can afford at the mo!

Just posting to see if there are any great suggestions out there which I haven't considered. Recon I could be talked round to a Henry if no other suggestions take my fancy.

TIA

LoveInAColdClimate Mon 19-Sep-11 10:57:45

Hmmm, I was coming on to say Dyson! Ours has been going strong since 2006 with no problems at all. My parents' Miele lasted decades so that might be a good move - although they too have now had Dysons for years.

doradoo Mon 19-Sep-11 11:56:27

I get through hoovers like nobody's business.... but my current on an AEG/Electrolux minion (2100w) is fab - I feel like I have to wrestle it from the floor the suction is so good.

My only gripe about it is I think the wire is a bit short - but I have a big open plan house not individual rooms so depending on your set up might not be a problem.

Jins Mon 19-Sep-11 12:01:30

I'm a dyson fan but recently bought a Henry for the stairs. I'm very disappointed in it. I did downstairs and then went over it with the dyson afterwards and half filled the dust collector.

I've been reasonably happy with vax but dyson are the best

varicoseveined Mon 19-Sep-11 20:03:45

On the recommendation of other MNers, I say go with a Henry like I did last month grin

It's powerful and the long hose means it's a doddle to vacuum the stairs.

grubbalo Wed 05-Oct-11 17:11:54

I remembered seeing this thread the other day and have just spotted the following on hotukdeals if it helps you (or someone else)?

www.hotukdeals.com/deals/repair-any-dyson-nearly-new-condition-for-73-inc-parts-1030467

SixtyFootDoll Wed 05-Oct-11 17:14:47

I hated my Henry, wrecked my woodwork. Too heavy and cumbersome.
Have a rubbish Hoover now.
Am going to try a miele next time.

BeeBread Wed 05-Oct-11 17:20:10

I have had a Miele Cat & Dog. It was pretty good (but not amazing) while it lasted, which was only 4 years. I've tried to have it repaired but nothing doing.

I had another Miele before then which lasted about 5 years.

If you look on the Which website, the reviews for that particular Miele suggest that relatively quick breakdowns are not unusual.

Just ordered a Dyson which hopefully will stand the test of time a little better!

Elliptic5 Wed 05-Oct-11 21:04:36

Just a quick note - I have a Dyson which I thought was on it's last legs last year then I found they service machines. Someone came out and repaired all the things that were going wrong, replaced some of the cleaning heads and restored it to virtually new all for about £70, which I thought was well worth it.

smartyparts Wed 05-Oct-11 21:08:43

I have had a Miele since 2001 and it's as good as new - my mil has a Dyson which I have borrowed, and it's crap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now