Talk

Advanced search

Mattress life span

(8 Posts)
lolaflores Mon 19-Sep-11 07:04:26

can anyone give me a rough estimation of what is an acceptable life span for a mattress. We have had ours for nearly 6 years. Most of the stains on it are calpol and baby sick (really) and it is husband shaped on one side. If you are not careful, it is possible to roll into it and not be able to get out.

Is it time to change it? The mattress not the husband

homeaway Mon 19-Sep-11 09:36:05

We were told when we bought ours that the life of a good mattress is ten years but I think it would depend on how much you spend on it. We replaced ours sooner because of babysick, etc . I now have a waterproof cover on it , with another cover on top as dh gets too hot. If you can afford a new one then i would get one.

lolaflores Mon 19-Sep-11 10:38:55

Thanks for that homeaway. the mattress does look like a health hazard. I shall get on to it right away

BorderBinLiner Mon 19-Sep-11 18:09:07

Normally I stay clear of the relationship section but may I be the first to say 'leave the bastard'.

CaptainMartinCrieff Mon 19-Sep-11 19:31:48

We've had ours 5 years and I'm thinking of replacing... My side has a CaptainMartinCrieff shaped ditch in it... DH's side nothing? I don't understand DH weighs at least 4 stone more than me?

CaptainMartinCrieff Mon 19-Sep-11 19:34:04

I turned it around (you can't turn it over something to do with springs) and DH noticed immediately and was very cross I'd try to be so sneaky. I think my next step is to swap it with the one in the guest bedroom and let the guests suffer it instead of us!

HannahHack Mon 19-Sep-11 21:57:57

@CaptainMartinCrieff Is it pocket sprung? I just bought one from John Lewis and they said that though it states that you don't need to turn it, you do. It's just not as necessary. I was, however, warned to NEVER HOOVER IT.

Swapping for the guest one sounds like a good idea though!

lolaflores Tue 20-Sep-11 07:17:45

yeah, my dh side is like a man trap, the littlie rolls into it and we need lifting gear to get her out. I did turn it over the other day. Funny how more stained it was on that side.

Does calpol rot mattresses? We do not have a guest mattress. That is the sofa. Or the road outside.

Yeah, time for a new one. Memory foam. Good idea or just silly. I await your wisdom

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now