Talk

Advanced search

Condensation problem - how to solve it?

(10 Posts)
PeggyCarter Sun 18-Sep-11 09:05:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Abra1d Sun 18-Sep-11 09:16:06

You can buy sheets of what looks like cling film for windows, which you stick round the frames to make a kind of double glazing. We used it for a year or two before we went the next stage and bought a kind of temporary double glazing. BEcause this warms the surface that the warm, moist air hits, it means that it doesn't condense into moisure. You will still need to ventilate well, though. It will help keep your place warmer, as well.

The film isn't beautiful but it's not that bad at all, especially if you renew it every now and then.

Here's a link: reviews.wickes.co.uk/9987-en_gb/210014/reviews.htm

PeggyCarter Sun 18-Sep-11 09:47:00

PeggyCarter Sun 18-Sep-11 19:58:07

RandomMess Sun 18-Sep-11 20:00:13

I have a scrapper collector thing and in winter I scoop up the condensation from our double glazing and pour it down the sink!

RandomMess Sun 18-Sep-11 20:02:31

this type of thing

www.csdesignnet.co.uk/scoopy.htm

PeggyCarter Sun 18-Sep-11 20:15:38

RandomMess Sun 18-Sep-11 20:19:22

Can't remember - betterware catalogue or somewhere like that?

have also got some of these

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNIB-PORTABLE-DEHUMIDIFYING-EGG-DEHUMIDIFIER-DAMP-ABSORBS-MOISTURE-CONDENSATION-/150660311881?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item23140deb49

that moisture crystal stuff is yucky

schroeder Sun 18-Sep-11 20:23:00

these get good reviews- I might get some myself. smile

INeedALieIn Wed 21-Sep-11 06:21:02

Any small, lived in spaces suffers from this. There are many solutions for caravans so try googling that topic or ask friends who are caravanners.

We use de-humidigying crystal pots. These can frequently be bought in poundland!!! And work a treat.

Also, our local council provide a "condensation guide". The key is to ventilate. If any wet washing is left to dry in the house all that happens is the wet evaporates, turns to moisture in the air and then condenses when it hits the window.

It is also important to mop up condensation every time it occurs or this will simply re-evaporate again and then condense once more.

Sorry to go on - can you tell this is a subject close to my heart?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now