Talk

Advanced search

Help! DD just spilt bright nail varnish on sofa.

(8 Posts)
TheBends Sat 17-Sep-11 08:22:24

Any tips on how to remove it? I've tried nail varnish remover but that's only been partially successful. Luckily they're removable so I'm about to bung them in the wash at 40" - it this doesn't work, has anyone got any advice?

Thanks

CaptainMartinCrieff Sat 17-Sep-11 08:54:10

Keep blotting with acetone and then when you're confident no more will come out, wash with an added stain remover eg vanish.

TheBends Sat 17-Sep-11 08:58:29

Thanks. I'll have to go and get some Vanish as I just looked in the cupboard, saw a pot, thought yay, only to open it and find it was empty (thanks DH!)

CaptainMartinCrieff Sat 17-Sep-11 09:02:03

It's hit and miss with nail varnish, you either get lucky and it will come out or you won't. sad

dexter73 Sat 17-Sep-11 09:55:36

Just googled and it seems that acetone could dissolve the fabric if it has any acrylic in it, so you should use an acetone free remover. Washing it in the machine probably won't make much difference as nail varnish isn't soluble in water. You would probably be better off taking it to a dry cleaners.

TheBends Sat 17-Sep-11 10:04:30

Looks like it'll be option 3, after nail varnish remover and washing, which is turn the cushion upside down and pretend it never happened. grin

dexter73 Sat 17-Sep-11 10:11:00

Sounds like a good plan!

baabaapinksheep Sat 17-Sep-11 11:13:46

My DD once spilt blue nail polish on my cream carpet. I found that putting a bit of nail polish remover on it, then scrubbing gently with a toothbrush while spraying with hairspray and then blotting with kitchen paper worked. You have to repeat a few times but there is no mark on my carpet where it was spilt. Does make you a bit light headed after a while though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now