Talk

Advanced search

roomba fan or other Robot cleaner couple questions

(4 Posts)
TheHumanCatapult Fri 16-Sep-11 12:27:49

After someone mentioned the scooba which seems intresting .Came across the roomba and though it seems very expensive am thinking it be a lot easier for me to have one .

Part of it yes is sheer lazyness I admit but also part is hoovering from a wheelchair is a pita as I get the lead tangled up in my wheels
and then have to hoover a bit move then hoover a bit more

So couple questions

Can i program it to do all rooms ,or will it do just one at a time ?

Does it pick up all the crumbs/dust /dirt

how easy are they to use

Doi have to make sure all toys etc of the floor in each room

Does it often get stuck under things and need rescueing as getting down to floor level and under things is a pita and will it end up yelling under there till one of the dc get home and rescue it

Hi,

Can i program it to do all rooms ,or will it do just one at a time ?
you can programme it to go on particular days and / or times. You cant programme its area iyswim. It sets off from its base, and cleans the area it has access to. So if a hall door is open, say, it will do the hall as well, but if not it will confine itself to the room it is in. You can get things called "lighthouses" to stop roomba from going to places but you cant actually tell it where to go. It will keep going until the room is finished or it needs to recharge, which ever comes first.

Does it pick up all the crumbs/dust /dirt
Yes. My roomba is brilliant. Picks up dust like you wouldnt believe.

how easy are they to use
Very. Just press the button (or programme it) and off it goes. Slide bin out to empty.

Doi have to make sure all toys etc of the floor in each room
Yes. While it will bump into things and change direction, a soft toy (or my slippers) will get dragged along or stuck in its wheels. Small toys like lego get sucked up. Wires need moved out of the way especially, like tv sky box wires under tables.

Does it often get stuck under things and need rescueing
The first time you use it you see where it can get to. Mine gets stuck occasionally under a table because the base of the stools arent flat and its wheels obviously find it hard to get traction. It just says "Relocate roomba" and if you dont move it, it turns itself off to save battery and sits and waits for you. So it doesnt yell constantly.

The one thing I would say is that you would need to be able to bend down to a few inches off the floor to be able to take the bin out to empty it. And it needs the brushes cleaned out every so often.

To be honest, my downstairs floors are all tiled / wooden, and it cleans them really really well. The ordinary carpet upstairs is good too, but its not so hot on long haired carpet. I know its not called long haired, but I cant think of the word!

TheHumanCatapult Fri 16-Sep-11 13:22:12

thank you , i can bend down from my chair for emptying etc .but for prgraming can it be done by remote ?.

It is more for ease of use and saving me trying to drag the main hoover around often twice a day

am very tempted now think it make life so much easier , have mix of tiles/lino and short carpet and all one one floor so i may need to trap it now and then into one room or it end up dying on me or does it return to its dock when it gets low

Think question is now which one to go for ,figure bit of a indulgence at the cost shock but if makes life easier reckon i deserve it grin

You programme the actual cleaning robot, not the docking station, so you could programme it on your knee. Its a bit like setting the time on a digital alarm clock. Set the day and the time and thats it.

It learns your room layout and it returns itself to the dock when the battery needs charged.

I reckon you deserve one as well. grin You'll have to think of a name for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now