Talk

Advanced search

What's the best way to wash a sheepskin rug?

(8 Posts)
BaronessOrczy Thu 15-Sep-11 12:54:50

Just realised how bad the one I have by my bed is.It used to be white and fluffy, now it's more... sheeplike. And dirty - not as in a footprint of mud, as in with unidentifiable bits in?!

It's smallish so could fit in the washing machine

I'm going to shake it out outside, but what should I do? Stick it in the machine on boilwash? or 30 degrees? Comb it first / after? Use Vanish? Use Ecosoft? Stick it in the tumble dryer or line dry it?

hazeyjane Thu 15-Sep-11 12:59:02

wash on wool cycle (30 degrees ok), with wool/delicates washing liquid (no softener) dry on line.

BaronessOrczy Thu 15-Sep-11 13:47:31

Thanks!

zandy Thu 15-Sep-11 14:37:22

I did that. Mine dried and became cardboard like. Ruined. I don't know what the answer is.

BaronessOrczy Thu 15-Sep-11 15:30:39

Ah - well, I haven't put it on yet. So you might have saved the day!

shodatin Thu 15-Sep-11 15:51:08

I did this more than once, different sheepskins, but after cardboard-like effect, I used glycerine in rinse (about 30ml) and had lovely soft, clean rug but this might have been a different one. (I have three rugs). The original board-like rug recovered after "working it" between hands,and brushing gently when dry and I'd certainly do this again.

ChildofIsis Thu 15-Sep-11 15:56:04

I wash mine on a 30 wash low spin and use loads of conditioner and it's going strong after 10 yrs.

Wash on 30 on wool wash, only use wool detergent not normal stuff, tablespoon of glycerine in fab con drawer.

If it is very 'bitty' brush it first or all the bits will get tangled in the wool.

Line dry.

Brush while damp and again when dry.

Wool is self cleaning and often when they just look a bit mucky, all they really need is a brush, not a wash.

The best brush (imo) is a pin dog brush, with very long pins.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now