Talk

Advanced search

Something has died in my vacuum cylinder - how can I get rid of the smell?

(5 Posts)
GiganticusBottomus Tue 13-Sep-11 18:20:50

Not literally died but gone rotten/mouldy something awful! I haven't used my Hoover (Dyson) for months blush as I have cleaners and all hard floors downstairs which I sweep so I rarely use it and I hadn't noticed - although the cupboard it was in was getting stinky - I thought it was damp! The smell is abominable. I've soaked the cylinder in detergent but it didn't work AT ALL. Any suggestions?

Pootles2010 Wed 14-Sep-11 11:23:55

Is it definitely in the cylinder, not in the little pipey bits? If it is, try leaving it outside for a day or so to let it 'air' a bit?

I've heard of people soaking a tissue in essential oil/anything nice smelling and putting it in there, just to keep it smelling sweet.

Failing that, ask your cleaner what they would do?

wandawings Wed 14-Sep-11 11:37:38

Bicarb is good for bad smells. Failing that, I second airing it.

CeliaFate Wed 14-Sep-11 12:57:38

Can you take it to a local handyman or a small hardware store could probably recommend someone to strip it and clean it for you. Cost me £18 to completely strip and clean my old Dyson.

GiganticusBottomus Wed 14-Sep-11 21:57:05

Thanks, I might try some bicarb in it.
Celiafate (great name!) that was cheap, I might find out if that is poss here. Seriously the smell is so bad DH just wants to bin it shock

Poodles, I think that is what got me in trouble in the first place, ruddy Anthea Turner and her cotton ball with essential oil on it, that's what went mouldy with the other stuff that was in there angry blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now