Talk

Advanced search

Henry Vacuum Cleaner

(14 Posts)
spongefingeranyone Tue 13-Sep-11 15:44:47

Have bought a Henry after reading numerouse threads on here with glowing reports. I'm not convinced. Suction is great, I can barely move it over my rugs downstairs. There are a few niggles though. Firstly it doesn't have a telescopic tube so it is permanently at an uncomfortable height. Secondly, and probably most annoyingly every time I start him up I get a really good whiff of dust. I've checked the bag and it's not even half full, so why is this? Does anyone else get a back-draft of dust from their Henry or is it just me?

Only had him 6 weeks and used once a week but seriously considering returning him to Tesco Direct for a refund.

hellhasnofury Tue 13-Sep-11 15:48:01

I bought a Henry because I read so many rave reviews about them. I HATE the bloody thing. It is mildly better now most of our floors are laminate but it is evil on the rug in the lounge.

Get a refund.

spongefingeranyone Tue 13-Sep-11 15:54:15

Thanks hellhas. Laminate downstairs here too but a pain in the backside doing the stairs as have the really wiggle the long tube thing off the metal tube thing to put on two attachments to do the stairs. I do love the long flex though.

javo Tue 13-Sep-11 16:07:08

Yes OP - I used to get a whiff of dust every time I used him. 2 days after the guarantee ran out (after not much use, went back to my old hoover) I used him as he comes with lots of tubes - to reach up to the cornicing in the lounge and a big puff of black smoke came out and a burning smell - then he died.

What a waste of money!! hated it - kept falling over, suction not as good as dyson. Have finally seen sense and got a miele.

hellhasnofury Tue 13-Sep-11 16:07:34

The long flex is one of the few good things about it but I find that rather than rolling along behind me as I hoover Henry takes suicidal leaps onto his face.

spongefingeranyone Wed 14-Sep-11 09:39:44

Javo which Miele did you go for? Wondering whether the entry level S2111 is ok or do I need to go for something like the S6210 to get the full worth?

javo Wed 14-Sep-11 14:12:21

I got an S5 automatic - but have heard the smaller ones are good too.

peachybums Wed 14-Sep-11 22:02:40

I LOVE my henry!! I am quite tall by DP has to put different attahments on as hes shorter than me. I do most of the hoovering so isnt a problem for us. As for the whiff of dust i found this happened until i switched to a reusable bag confused seemed to help. As for him falling over mine has never done this so i cant comment, the only thing i dont like about henry as hes not very easy to store, neither is DP but we love him lol

ChippingIn Wed 14-Sep-11 22:08:42

Love my Henry smile

I don't get any whiffs of dust.
He doesn't feel the need to throw himself face down.
He removes monumental amounts of building dust/paper/shite.

I adore him.

I would like to find a different 'big head' for him though as he's got a 'very sucky motor' and I have to twist the head when pulling him back towards me <not Friday night is it??>.

... and frankly, if his redness is not enough to stop you falling over him - it's an optician you need not a miele grin

cece Wed 14-Sep-11 22:14:03

Love my Henry.

No problem with tube - you just hold it to the right height, so not sure what you mean by that?

No dust on start up either.

spongefingeranyone Thu 15-Sep-11 07:45:03

Thanks for all your responses but my brief fling with Henry has come to and end anne he's sat all snug again on his box ready to go back. Gave him one last chance yesterday and the dust blow back was dreadful, could smell dust in the lounge for an hour afterwardssad.

Mr John Lewis will be receiving my order for a Miele forthwith.

MrsRobertDuvall Thu 15-Sep-11 07:52:53

We have one after many encounters with dysons, hoovers.
I find it cumbersome, not good for my long back...but now dh does all the hoovering smile
so I now no longer give a stuff about Henry!!!!

RedRubyBlue Thu 15-Sep-11 13:21:11

Sponge

Yep - A Miele is the answer I have had mine for fifteen years and it still going strong.

spongefingeranyone Thu 15-Sep-11 14:57:24

Refund received and JL Miele order placed. It's blue, with a shiny tube and I'm getting a tad excited <saddo smiley>. Hoping to restore my faith in MN recommendations when it arrives and gets it's test drive. Thanks all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now