Talk

Advanced search

Cheap insulated curtains?

(7 Posts)
ImpyCelyn Mon 12-Sep-11 10:24:01

I've just got light, fairly transparent curtains in most rooms, so they don't do much for keeping out the cold. They're there because the look nice <shallow> but I regret that now as they're so impractical.

Does anyone know anywhere that I could buy warm curtains for not too much money please? Or is there a way I can rig some myself?

Thanks very much smile

HattiFattner Mon 12-Sep-11 11:53:58

http://www.dunelm-mill.com/shop/thermal-eyelet-curtain-linings-150051

Ive got these in some places.

You could jerry rig something similar using old fabric (such as a duvet cover or sheet). Id even try looking at something like gardening fleece, with is about £1 a metre for 2m wide.

ANy extra layer will make a difference.

ImpyCelyn Mon 12-Sep-11 14:24:52

Thanks HattiFattner. I think I'll buy some when we move, and jerry rig for now.

Thank you smile

BerylStreep Mon 12-Sep-11 16:45:54

You can buy bonded lining, which is interlining and lining (bonded together, hence the name). Dunelm Mill sell it, although it is cheaper at our local fabric shop. This really works - it is likely having blankets sewn into your curtains, and as well as keeping the heat in, it also makes curtains drape much better. If you are handy with a sewing machine, you can sew it into your curtains, or alternatively hem them all around, put curtain tape on the top, and use them as detachable linings.

BellaneyMimphus Mon 12-Sep-11 16:48:18

You have to have a good strong curtain rail too.
(Ask me how I know hmm)
Any alterations place which hems curtains will be able to do you the job in a day.

ImpyCelyn Tue 13-Sep-11 14:58:19

Thanks for all the advice Bellaney, I'll have a look for the bonded lining. And I'll double check my curtain rail wink

RedRubyBlue Wed 14-Sep-11 16:48:29

When I was a student I lived in a freezing cold flat.

I trawled charity shops for curtains the same size as mine and tacked them onto the back of my existing thin curtains.

Some were as cheap as a fiver it kept some of the heat in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now