Talk

Advanced search

Most effective way of getting burnt sugar off a ceramic hob

(9 Posts)
tabbycat7 Fri 09-Sep-11 13:40:51

I was attempting to make jam last night whilst ebaying at the same time, and the jam boiled over not once but twice over my ceramic hob. I tried to clear it up with kitchen roll but it stuck to the sugar and started to burn, so I left it until this morning and I cannot get it off!! I've tried a scrubby sponge and some fairy and ordinary kitchen cleaner, but it just won't budge.

Any ideas? Thanks smile

suzannened Fri 09-Sep-11 15:42:27

Hello
have you tried Hob Brite? I swear by it for cleaning my hob (although I confess I haven't had to try & get sugar off yet). They recommend their hob scraper for tough marks but I haven't found it in shops. Good luck!

fourkids Fri 09-Sep-11 18:53:56

steam cleaner?

zarabootoo Fri 09-Sep-11 19:20:07

Pour boiling water on it to melt it again then it should be easy enough to clean.

Ben10WasTheSpawnNowWeLoveLego Sat 10-Sep-11 13:29:43

Hob brite and one of these

WhatsWrongWithYou Sat 10-Sep-11 13:32:07

Bicarbonate of soda - sprinkle on, leave to soak in, rub away with damp cloth or kitchen roll - miraculous!

theginganinja Sat 10-Sep-11 13:35:34

Another vote for bicarb, spray some water on hob first so that the bicarb has some liquid to react with. Sprinkle on bicarb, leave for half hour.

I once burnt my oven glove on my ceramic hob and that was the only thing that would get it off.

bananafrosting Sat 10-Sep-11 13:37:16

If all else fails use a glass scraper (couple of quid in Homebase or B&Q)

pengymum Sat 10-Sep-11 13:50:43

I'd go with zarabootoo and pour on some hot water, leave to soak and then it should wipe off. May need a couple of goes. Burn't sugar in pans comes off with soaking. Could also make a paste of washing powder first and smear onto the sugar patch. It will work but will take time.
If you are in hurry though, I'd go for the glass scraper tool.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now