Talk

Advanced search

If I said I was a terrible pot-saver would you know what I meant?

(28 Posts)
thesurgeonsmate Fri 09-Sep-11 09:48:38

And is it a terrible thing to be? Can I change?

dexter73 Fri 09-Sep-11 10:14:17

Does it mean you save old jam jars? I have never heard of that before! Off to google pot-saver....

dexter73 Fri 09-Sep-11 10:15:43

Have googled - still none the wiser. Just comes up with references to marijuana and vaginas!

MmeLindor. Fri 09-Sep-11 10:17:34

No. I have no idea.

SuePurblybilt Fri 09-Sep-11 10:18:51

Nope. I know pot-hunter but not pot-saver.

schroeder Fri 09-Sep-11 10:21:27

Nope!

Markandkark Fri 09-Sep-11 10:35:04

Ice cream tubs/margarine tubs?

ChunkyPickle Fri 09-Sep-11 10:38:48

I would assume that you have a cupboard full of margarine tubs, jam-jars, washing up bottles etc. Anything with a lid that 'might be useful'

MmeLindor. Fri 09-Sep-11 10:41:16

Oh, if it is marg/ice cream tubs then my mum is one.

And yes, it is awful.

thesurgeonsmate Fri 09-Sep-11 11:07:07

Don't know where I got this word from, or whether I made it up. But to me it's a pejorative word meaning that when I'm cooking, or planning cooking, I'm always keeping one eye on what's going to minimise washing up. To a certain extent this is sensible, obviously, but I think it can creep in to really cramp your cooking style if you're unwilling to get another pan out to do a sauce or garnish or something. And I find that my unwillingness to dirty two chopping boards can extend the time it takes to make recipes as I always want to chop all the veg before the meat regardless of what order they are going to be used.

MmeLindor. Fri 09-Sep-11 11:11:38

Oh, then I am a pot saver.

My favourite recipes don't even involve getting a pot dirty, or just one pot.

thesurgeonsmate Fri 09-Sep-11 11:17:56

But you're a contented pot saver it seems?

schroeder Fri 09-Sep-11 11:23:23

Me too, drives me mad that dh isn't; he uses the best knife in the house to do simple jobs like cutting toasties or opening a packet! <sorry wandered off the point a bit there. blush>

Anyway, yes pans and chopping boards, but also cups and glasses too. Maybe I just am slovenly hmm

ColdSancerre Fri 09-Sep-11 11:25:22

I do this (but didn't recognise the term). I don't know why as we have a dishwasher. I love one pot dishes.

flooziesusie Fri 09-Sep-11 11:29:40

pot saver here.

When I do it, I get a massive sense of achievement if the pots don't get one up on me!

thesurgeonsmate Fri 09-Sep-11 11:33:02

Needless to say, ColdSancerre, I have a dishwasher too. It's like it's a state of mind rather than a reasoned approach.

Maryz Fri 09-Sep-11 11:33:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MmeLindor. Fri 09-Sep-11 11:41:13

I am a contented pot saver, yes.

I get a thrill out of not using more than one pot.

One pot carbonara, one pot chicken pie, no pot salmon couillibiac, pizza, quiche, stir fry...

Actually, I rarely use more that two pots, when I think about it.

BertieBotts Fri 09-Sep-11 11:42:51

I do this loads! I'm happy about it in terms of washing up (and DP doesn't do it either and it drives me mad, even though he washes up, because he leaves stuff for days. As would I to be fair so I can't comppain.) I do find it limiting and annoying when cookibg yhough.

SuePurblybilt Fri 09-Sep-11 11:56:19

I do this, mostly cos i have no dishwasher and am idle grin. It's a good phrase.

dizzyday07 Fri 09-Sep-11 12:16:49

Maryz - your comment is exactly the same as our house!

MmeLindor. Fri 09-Sep-11 12:29:32

MaryZ
That would make your DH a Pot Slattern, like my brother.

I reuse my coffee cup too, why dirty another one?

suzikettles Fri 09-Sep-11 13:40:17

Me too. I do also try to wash up as I go though, so if I do use more than one pot/chopping board/knife it's the same one as previously but washed.

Dh would like to be a tv chef with all the ingredients chopped in their separate little glass bowls. Unfortunately the tv chefs have minions to do the washing up afterwards.

thesurgeonsmate Sat 10-Sep-11 15:51:20

I don't think I can count washing up as you go along, though, suzikettles, because you haven't saved washing, you've just time-shifted it.

Looks as though most people don't think it's a bad thing. Efficiency counts when cooking as well as turning out glamorous meals with many accoutrements.

mousymouse Sat 10-Sep-11 16:03:22

I am also quite economical even though dh is in charge of the washing up. I even use the pot I used to cook the spuds with to cook the sauce later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now