Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What should I use for mould growing on walls

(23 Posts)
lollystix Wed 07-Sep-11 22:22:26

We are renting a property which had developed mould on the Walls. It's getting out of control. How do I get rid of it?

nancy75 Wed 07-Sep-11 22:24:49

anti fungal wash for the walls then it can be painted over with an oil based paint to help stop it coming back,. If it is caused by condensation you need to ventilate the house more or get a dehumidifier. Don't dry your washing inside, or put wet stuff on radiators, that really makes it worse.

RedorLead Thu 08-Sep-11 08:14:59

I feel your pain - our rental is ground floor, so can't leave windows open and it has no extractors in the bathroom or the kitchen. I have used dettox mould and mildew remover which is really just bleach, it stops it being visable growing for about 3 weeks, fortunately our rental is a temporary situation otherwise we'd be looking for a rental elsewhere. I told the landlord that there were serious ventilation issues but she would rather lose out on months of rent with a high tenant turnover than spend money - obviously not the bets business brain. Sorry turned into a bit of a rant - but the mould is playing havoc with my health.

primigravida Thu 08-Sep-11 08:20:35

White vinegar works well to scrub it off the walls and ceilings at our place and is cheaper and less toxic than other products. Best of luck.

Sookeh Thu 08-Sep-11 08:31:04

Dettol mould and mildew remover works wonders.

lollystix Thu 08-Sep-11 08:31:10

Yes our rental temporary too - been doing too much drying inside but in scotlnd not much alternative. Just dug out my suede boots from my cupboard and they're covered in mouldsad in horrified.

SueFlay Thu 08-Sep-11 08:41:04

RE mould in wardrobe I vaguely remember some sachets of something that soak up moisture (a bit like the ones that you find in new handbags)

I'd advise taking photos of all your damaged belongings, just in case..

swapping Thu 08-Sep-11 11:01:17

A descent dehumidifier will immediately stop all condensation/dampness/mould.

Cost about £120/£180

Get your landlord to buy it asap. You'll be amazed how much water is collected every day. (about 2 litres)

Don't use oil based paint because the putrid water will just run down the walls.

swapping Thu 08-Sep-11 11:03:18

PS if your landlord won't buy it then you buy it. I guarantee it will be the best thing you've ever bought. They are truly wonderful. smile

MrsPlesWearsAFez Thu 08-Sep-11 11:11:50

Our rental place has/had the same issue.

I used a mould spray from Lakeland (think it's one of theirs). Also bought one for my mother to tackle her bathroom as she'd tried other products (and tried painting over it) without success.

I sprayed in June and it hasn't come back. We keep the flat well ventilated (easier said than done in some cases, obviously), and I'm saving for a dehumidifier.

babycham42 Thu 08-Sep-11 14:25:31

It"s horrible isn"t it?

Be careful of leather items too (handbags etc) as they go mouldy really quick.

If at all possible,as well as above tips,keep furniture (or anything else really) away from at least the worst affected walls - particularly wardrobes or you can end up with damp,mildewed clothes.You need as much circulation of air as possible. And adequete heating when it gets cold.

Once you know it"s there it"s best to keep on top of it regularly - I think bleach is supposed to kill the spores if you can use it on that surface.Black mould is not good for your health.

lollystix Thu 08-Sep-11 17:31:04

Yep serious black mould in the utility room. Would one dehumidifier work? Do I need several?

swapping Thu 08-Sep-11 18:33:34

Depends how big your house is. If it's big then probaby one upstairs and one downstairs. Place them in the worst rooms and they'll draw in the damp air from the other rooms as well. It's the BEST thing I've EVER bought. They work instantly. You'll be amazed. Get a good one though. I've got a De Longhi.

lollystix Thu 08-Sep-11 21:25:04

I have just spent the evening wiping down my shoes with baby wipes - I'm not sure they'll ever be the same. What with the mice and now the mould and 3 little kids and a baby on the way I am starting to lose the will to live in this dark cold hovel we are renting. I swear it's warmer outside than inside in here

noir Thu 08-Sep-11 21:30:42

Move out.

Especially if you've got kids. Its dangerous.

The mould in my last rental made me cry, it destroyed so much of our stuff (clothes, shoes etc). Our landlord bought us two top of the range dehumidifers and came in numerous times to clean down the walls and paint them with anti-fungal paint (yes we had a good landlord!). But he was fighting a losing battle.

A winter of getting ill was the final straw so we moved out.

lollystix Thu 08-Sep-11 22:52:08

It's weird cos we moved in in January and endured a dreadful winter but the mould which was contained to the utility (and not evident when we moved in) has Been steadily growing but it's only been in the last couple of weeks that it's started in the bathroom and behind shutters and in my cupboard that I keep clothes in. Agency coming tomorrow so thanks to advice here I will push for a dehumidifier. Bet they will say turn heating on but hit with 2 months of £160 a month bills in winter so had it off since March as so ineffective and expensive.

cadelaide Thu 08-Sep-11 22:55:54

ditto the lakeland spray.

scabbysnake Fri 09-Sep-11 09:53:52

i also rent and had mould last year, not really bad but bad enough for me to notice. i was speaking to the maintanence guy while he was doing some work here and suggested the landlord may want to buy a dehumidifier. i told him my windows are always open to dry and circulate the air. he said that was maybe the problem as the house itself wasn't warm enough then i was opening windows & letting all the moisture back here.
it gets freezing in my house & i can't afford to have the heating on non-stop. he said he would talk to the landlord about getting me a log burner which i am really excited about - the fact that it may actually be warm in my house! am keeping fingers crossed.

lollystix Fri 09-Sep-11 15:12:58

So the letting agent came and said next week someone will come and treat it with some special stuff which he said would keep it at bay for a while. No to the dehumidifier. His advice was to move out. I bet his client would be happy about that. Off to call my dad to see if he'll lend me his old dehumidifier

LUCIA22 Sat 10-Sep-11 07:21:09

We had this too where we are now. Its ok through the summer but grows around the windows and on outside Walls in the winter due to condensation. You are lucky if your landlord bought you a humidifier, we bought our own but found it too expensive to run. Agency just suggested opening windows and heating on constantly! We are on ground floor too so not always possible. Try to keep on top of cleaning it off but it has left black marks which bleach won't shift. Agency implied it was our responsibility. Hope we don't get charged for it when we leave. On a positive note it has never affected health even though it is in kids room where furniture has been against the wall. Wardrobe is a problem though, fitted so can't move it from outside wall. Hate constantly smelling mouldy through the winter!

thejaffacakesareonme Sat 10-Sep-11 15:24:43

I've used the dettol mould and mildew spray and it is great - very effective. I would use it with caution though. It contains a lot of bleach and I've had to throw out trousers and tops after it got onto them. I'd be very careful about protecting any carpets that may get caught by the spray.

cathwiggy Thu 15-Sep-11 18:08:31

Hi, we have just had a ventilation system fitted from Envirovent to help with condensation/mould and it works wonders! V reasonable price and a world of difference. www.homeventilation.co.uk is a good link to look at..x

MrsMagnolia Fri 16-Sep-11 16:15:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now