Talk

Advanced search

Windows - arrgh!

(11 Posts)
sabas Wed 07-Sep-11 18:42:14

How do you clean the inside of your windows? No matter what I use, they always seem to end up streaky, which is only really noticible when the sun is beaming in, whuch never happens to be when I am cleaning them!

Please give me your failsafe methods!

twotesttickles Wed 07-Sep-11 19:53:25

Vinegar, newspaper.

The acetid acid eats the grease, the acid in the ink of the newspaper scrapes away the crud and the paper fibres buff away any streaks.

DO NOT USE PROPRIETARY WINDOW CREAMS - see the clue is in the title cream would you smear cream on your windows and expect them to be clear? hmm wink

Carrotsandcelery Wed 07-Sep-11 22:05:10

I second what two said. I dilute the vinegar with warm water, wash the window with a cloth soaked in it and dry it with a ball of newspaper. No streaks and very low cost.

Pudden Thu 08-Sep-11 13:26:40

I put a sploosh of stardrops in some warm water and clean with a vileda window cloth; occasionally buff with an old line tea towel

Pudden Thu 08-Sep-11 13:26:49

linen

Fizzylemonade Thu 08-Sep-11 13:32:58

Water and e cloth, professionals like window cleaners seem to use fairy liquid and a squeegee.

But water and e cloth on insides of windows works well for me.

HoneyPablo Thu 08-Sep-11 13:39:15

You need 2 bowls and 3 cloths
First bowl put hot water and washing up liquid
Second bowl is cold water for rinsing
First cloth in first bowl then clean window
Second cloth in second bowl to rinse away suds
Dry and polish with third cloth- best is a super absorbant teatowel type- dry small areas to avoid streaks

unclehairysgirlfriend Fri 09-Sep-11 20:43:27

Method Best In Glass and kitchen roll, nothing else has ever worked as well for me. Smells lovely too!

AngelDog Fri 09-Sep-11 21:44:27

Microfibre cloths or washing up liquid & lots of rinsing.

I tried the newspaper thing but it left newsprint all over the UPVC frames which took loads of work and time to get off. hmm

Not that I clean my windows often, mind.

dizzyday07 Fri 09-Sep-11 21:59:47

Water and an e-cloth here!

And best not to clean them on too bright a day apparently as they dry quicker than you can dry them

crockydoodle Sat 10-Sep-11 19:44:43

I like Method Best in Glass too, then wipe with microfibre window cloth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now