Talk

Advanced search

Scorched carpet!

(7 Posts)
20wkbaby Wed 07-Sep-11 10:10:14

Is there anything I can do about this other than changing the whole carpet?

Thanks

SecondRow Wed 07-Sep-11 10:27:43

Depends on how big the scorch marks are I'd say.

Funnily enough I just saw a trashy TV show last night where cigarette burns in a rug were patched up by snipping off fibres from another undamaged spot, and sprinkling them into the burn mark on top of a dab of superglue or similar. A quick and dirty solution which looked all right on superficial examination.

If you've dropped a whole iron or something on the carpet, no idea though!

DaisySteiner Wed 07-Sep-11 12:12:23

My mate dropped her iron on the carpet at university and left a huge burn mark. She drew round the iron on a piece of hidden undamaged carpet, cut it and the burn mark out with a Stanley knife and swapped them over. It looked OK and she got her deposit back grin

SeniorWrangler Thu 08-Sep-11 15:40:54

If it's a wool carpet and comparatively minor, borax and glycerin sometimes works.

20wkbaby Thu 08-Sep-11 18:19:11

Thanks for the replies, thought I had replied before so apologies for the delay. It is a fairly minor scorch so I will try the borax and glycerin remedy, thank you.

relaxezvous Thu 08-Sep-11 18:46:35

I did this with my iron
I got a razor and lightly shaved the area - came up a treat

20wkbaby Fri 09-Sep-11 10:04:57

Considering I have baby brain at the moment (hence scorching the carpet in the first place) I may or may not decide it is a good idea to take a razor to the carpet! Thanks for the suggestion though. My friend is coming round later who I told about it so I will see if she thinks it looks really bad or if I can get away with it. Haven't told DH yet but I think he is assuming it is another coffee stain of which there are plenty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now