Talk

Advanced search

Dyeing jeans black - any top tips pls?

(6 Posts)
Ktay Tue 06-Sep-11 19:44:26

Dithered over whether to put this in s&b but as I'm most concerned about washing machine I figured here was more appropriate... I cocked up an eBay order (to be fair, the description was not the most transparent) and the 'indigo' jeans I thought I'd bought are in fact purple.

I thought I'd have a go at dyeing them black but it's been years since I did anything similar and I seem to recall it being a right faff. Can anyone recommend a particularly effective or easy brand of dye please? And how careful to I need to be with subsequent loads? Thanks...

GinandChocolate Tue 06-Sep-11 21:54:53

Dylon machine dye is fine. Follow instructions on pack and you won't go wrong. You need to weigh the jeans to see how many packs of dye you need and you need salt as well.

I use black dye fairly often to make faded black jeans etc black again. Your machine will be fine.

I wouldn't follow black dye laid with a light colour or White load of washing but other than that just go for it.

haveigotnewsforyou Tue 06-Sep-11 23:11:13

Agree with GinandChocolate, Dylon Machine Washable Dye is great. The cheapest I have found it is in Wilkinson for £3.99. Use it with Tesco Value salt. I normally use one pack for one pair of jeans. The Dylon Velvet Black and Navy Blue colours are both very good for jeans.

If you follow the instructions, your washing machine will be fine. The next wash I do after is always a black wash but you probably don't have to do this!

Best of luck with it!

Ktay Wed 07-Sep-11 08:58:05

Thanks for the encouragement, I picked up a pack of the Dylon black velvet dye at the supermarket this morning so will give that a go. They are maternity trousers so doesn't matter too much if my first attempt isn't that successful - only need a few months' wear out of them!

Ktay Wed 07-Sep-11 10:00:56

On closer inspection, I can't find any mention of salt on the packet (even though I remember having to use it when I dyed something years ago). The packet (Dylon 'wash & dye') says it's now 'easier than ever' and calls it an all-in-one formula so maybe it's no longer necessary? Or am I missing something??

Ktay Wed 07-Sep-11 10:04:05

Sorry, me again... just checked the Dylon website and apparently the 'Wash & Dye' already contains salt so no need to add anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now