Talk

Advanced search

Please help me get my whites white again!

(5 Posts)
AngryBadger Mon 05-Sep-11 21:13:20

Hello all!

I am a terrible house keeper but now I am on maternity leave I am trying to change my ways (have signed up to Flylady, let's hope it helps!).

For those are you who are more organised than me, I have some washing questions... 1) How can I get White clothes that have turned grey, white again? My DS has White school polo shirts that have a really grey tinge, the shirts have some red stitching on... Can I bleach them?

2) does a White wash have to be JUST white? At the moment I throw all the pale things on together (pale pink, pale grey etc). Is this wrong?

I have two DC's, a DH with dirty work/sports clothes, I seem to be constantly washing and often throwing clothes away because I can't get stains out. What am I doing wrong? Any tips appreciated on organising laundry in general, sorry for stupid questions, I don't know how others manage to cope so well domestically when it's such a challenge to me...

Thank you in advance :-)

P.S- I wash at 60, normally use persil and do not have a utility room (space to store laundry is limited).

Mspontipine Mon 05-Sep-11 21:29:40

IME once your whites have gone grey there's no return. Yes a white wash means a white wash. If you put pale pinks, greys you end up with aforementioned grey tinged white sad I wash all whites together with half a scoop of oxi stain remover/whitener and they stay white.

I use a Vanish bar for the odd stain - food / choc etc but can't help with dirty sports.work clothes. 60s a lot hotter than I wash stuff and you'd have thought persil would do the job! Is it non-bio as think bio's more effective.

Mspontipine Mon 05-Sep-11 21:30:25

IMO I think I meant!

LordOfTheFlies Mon 05-Sep-11 22:07:44

I sort my laundry into :
whites- shirts, towels, DC school shirts, DH works shirts

white tunics (work) for DH and me + my Tshirts which I wash seperately at 60

light colours
dark colours

Black

Whites can be revived by soaking overnight with Vanish? Ariel stain remover then wash and hang out in sunlight.
I like Daz for whites.
Dylon Ultra Whitener sachets (even worked on white pants- not mine BTW)

Pedicuri Mon 05-Sep-11 22:35:04

I do whites, pale pinks and pale blue together.
I have to say, I have only just started hanging out my washing in the sunshine and it has made a HUGE difference to my whites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now