Advanced search

iroomba from the us - will it work?

(7 Posts)
elcap Mon 05-Sep-11 14:16:35


I have been reading with delight how the iroomba is going to change my life! I am off to. The states and was going to buy one there as they are so much cheaper.

Has anyone done this? And can you tell me if it will work or do I need a special transformer thingy.

Many thanks for any tips!

HerdOfTinyElephants Mon 05-Sep-11 14:22:51

If it breaks down once you are back in the UK you will be Completely Stuffed [bitter voice of experience emoticon]

promomum Mon 05-Sep-11 19:00:12

They do break down! Ours went after about 6 months, and was covered by the warranty. We've taken out an extended warranty because there's so much to go wrong with them.

But I saw a Groupon special offer recently which had them for £100 less than we paid - so if you're not in a hurry, register with Groupon and kgbdeals and keep looking out for them - you can always take out an extended warranty on top.

(Love the iRoomba btw, it does a great job and saves loads of time).

Doodlez Mon 05-Sep-11 19:02:47

Dunno about buying in the States but I bought mine at John Lewis last Christmas and it is fanbloodytastic!

MIL has really bad arthritis and cannot push a hoover around. FIL dead, so nobody around to do it and she is VERY independent. Bought one for her and she LOVES it.

kansasmum Mon 05-Sep-11 19:14:16

You will need a voltage convertor it will NOT work if you just use a US/UK adaptor plug. I brought some electrical items back form the US when we moved here and needed voltage convertors. They aren't expensive- but you need to check the wattage of the iroomba if you get it- different wattages need different size convertors.

elcap Tue 06-Sep-11 14:16:04

Thank you all! Will get transformer and keep my fingers crossed it doesn't pack up.

I am exceptionally excited about this purchase ..... how my life has changed smile

CroissantsForBreakfast Tue 06-Sep-11 21:14:46

We have recently moved to the US and have been using some of our UK electrical items over here. We found that some have been manufactured as dual voltage appliances and therefore we just use an adaptor plug, not a transformer.

It's possible the iroomba is made like this as it's sold in both countries. There is usually either a switch to change from 110v to 240v or a sticker which states 110v/240v. I would check this if you are thinking of buying one over here, it's a lot easier to use an adaptor plug or just buy a new power lead with a UK plug.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: