Talk

Advanced search

Steam Cleaner Thingy - any good? which one?

(10 Posts)
oldenoughtowearpurple Mon 05-Sep-11 13:48:26

I am vaguely aware of steam thingies that you can use for cleaning ovens and/or steaming out curtains and so forth. Can someone tell me about them and whether it's worth investing our nectar points in one?

FloydieDoydie Wed 07-Sep-11 08:56:00

Bumping as I'd like a recommendation too! smile

CamillaSalander Wed 07-Sep-11 09:00:08

Yup, another one seeking recommendations!

I saw someone in a shop using a handheld one to get creases out of clothes as she unpacked them. She swore by it. But I'm interested in the big, all-singing/dancing ones. grin

mrmump Wed 07-Sep-11 10:49:16

I have one called Little Yellow, and its ok. Brilliant on tiled floors and bathrooms. Sofa and rug came up good too. But it takes about 15 minutes to heat up and because you can't see the water tank you can't tell when you are running low on water. I did have an upright one where you could see the water but that didn't have any attatchments.

mustdash Wed 07-Sep-11 15:10:24

We have one of these Not cheap but worth every penny No good for some things they suggest like cleaning windows hmm but brilliant for getting all manner of stains out, and generally sprucing up carpets, sofas etc. We've recently bought the wallpaper steamer attachment, and that too has been brilliant.

CamillaSalander Wed 07-Sep-11 20:57:08

The Vaporetto is the one I've been considering. For carpets and sofas mainly, but also ovens etc (??? ) Also can you use that for steaming creases out of clothes, please?

fourkids Fri 09-Sep-11 10:17:08

recently bought a Morphy Richards Compact Steam with a few jobs in mind for it:

cleaning grout/tiles: it's ok. loosens the black stuff on the grout BUT you still have to scrub it off at the same time (before it cools at all) with a scrubbing brush, so maybe 6/10

cleaning kitchen tiles and wooden floors: it does a really nice job. you have to vacuum very effectively first, and the attachment is really small so it takes ages, and there is no long handle so you have to do it on hands and knees. 7/10

cleaning the odd mark on the carpet: carpet cleaner, water, and a cloth does a better job. 1/10

steaming clothes instead of ironing them: actually it's quite good for this, but I'm not entirely sure if that's just the novelty factor! you need somewhere secure to hang the clothes - mine keep falling off the hangers, or the hangers kept falling off the door frame on which I've hung them, but I don't think I can really blame that on the steamer. 9/10

cleaning round bathroom taps, and up inside taps: it's great for this. 9/10.

All in all I wish I'd spent more money on a dediated clothes steamer (couldn't work out which one was best though, which is partly why I didn't) and an upright dedicated steamer for cleaning the floor.

hope that helps smile

CamillaSalander Fri 09-Sep-11 20:33:21

Thank you, it does help. I wonder if other steamer owners might contribute though? Must be some out there...

BerylStreep Mon 12-Sep-11 16:54:48

Domotec is good. It has a steam iron attachment which is useless, but all the other attachments are great. IIRC I paid about £95 for it, although I am not sure if it is still available. Debenhams used to do it.

welliesundermeballgoon Mon 12-Sep-11 17:14:50

Oooh I was about to ask this- as I've just seen an advert for the ecosteam master (DS (5) accidently turned on Pitch TV!) It looks too good to be true- has anybody tried it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now