Advanced search

binding edge of fabric

(3 Posts)
ladykay Sun 04-Sep-11 20:54:22

What is the name for the stitched 'binding' you get on the seams of clothes, to stop fraying, or on the edge patches? What sort of a sewing machine do I need for this? Thanks!

ArseyContarsie Sun 04-Sep-11 20:56:35

do you mean bias binding?

any basic machine stitch will keep it in place, you could even hand stitch if you felt inclined

springboksaplenty Sun 04-Sep-11 21:18:19

Do you mean overlocking? Basically it's multiple threads stitched over the edge. An overlocker is a worthwhile investment if you make a lot of clothes (or a few pieces but want a really professional finish).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: