Talk

Advanced search

New washing machine/tumble dryer...what do you think?

(10 Posts)
PerfectlyChaotic Sat 03-Sep-11 21:48:34

Ok so not the most exciting of topics but we're admitting defeat and need to buy a new washing machine (before it ruins any more clothes) & probably a tumble dryer too (before ours bankrupts us).

Any recommendations? We're considering the John Lewis own brand ones.

I like to obsess over such decisions for ages but DH was muttering earlier about a trip to the shops tomorrow......

Putthatbookdown Sun 04-Sep-11 15:24:01

Can you wait till post Xmas sales as they have bargains then? Though with the recession there are probably bargains .Make sure it is at least 1400 spin as this will save drying costs- 1200 can leave things a bit wet. Hotpoint is the best of the cheaper ones as it carries a 5 year parts guarantee but macines not built to last thesedays Miele is raved about a lot here

PerfectlyChaotic Sun 04-Sep-11 21:05:08

Thanks Putthatbookdown , had a look earlier & more confused now.

They all seem much of a muchness really. Could spend a small fortune on a Miele (which I've heard lots of good things about) but not completely sure what extra we'd be getting for the extra spend. Hmm, just need something that will clean our clothes reliably - so hopeless at decisions!

BsshBossh Tue 06-Sep-11 10:32:52

We had an expensive AEG one (washer/dryer combi) what only lasted 3 years so now we have a cheaper Hotpoint. Will let you know if it's still in operation next year wink. Seriously, we are a small family and only ever did a few loads of washing a week but it put us off the AEG brand. My mum had a Hotpoint combi for years and years so that influenced my decision to buy a Hotpoint this time round.

sabas Wed 07-Sep-11 18:37:48

I would recommend BOSCH, they are really reliable in everything and their products (washing machines, tumble driers and dishwashers) always recieve really high Which scores and I believe have also won some "best brand" accolades.

I have a bosch washing machine which is great and am shortly about to buy a bosch tumble drier. They aren't the cheapest but are built to last smile

PerfectlyChaotic Fri 09-Sep-11 14:30:33

Thanks all...your thoughts are much appreciated.

Yes, think I'll look properly at the BOSCH machines - have heard good things from a few people now & they're a little more reasonable than the Miele smile

AngelDog Fri 09-Sep-11 21:42:39

Our washing machine repair men advised againt Hotpoint and anything made by them. Can't remember the details though.

Smeg have extortionately expensive parts IME.

Bosch & Miele usually come out top of the Which? report tests.

MrsCurly Fri 09-Sep-11 21:49:51

i have the John Lewis machine with 1200 spin. It is fab and I do loads of washing.

MrsCurly Fri 09-Sep-11 21:50:28

And have no tumble dryer - 1200 spin is fine. Old machine was 1400 and I don't notice the difference.

Squirtypants Sun 11-Sep-11 17:21:02

I love love love my miele washing machine. We got one of the cheaper ones and couldn't be happier. Easy to use electronic display. It cleans clothes a treat. I joke that the machine is cleverer than me because it tells you when you are using too much detergent. We must have saved a fortune on detergent by now! Good warranties. They say they last at least 10 years. Oh, the drawer on mine broke so I phoned miele uk and they sent a replacement in the post the next day, no questions asked (not even to ask how long I'd had the machine).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now