Talk

Advanced search

Le Creuset!

(8 Posts)
Fuzzled Sat 03-Sep-11 10:44:57

I've been given two Le Creuset casseroles grin
I've been browsing on the internet, but I can't find whether I can use them on a gas hob?

Anyone advise? TIA

puzzlesum Sat 03-Sep-11 10:45:58

Le Creuset casseroles are designed to withstand a direct nuclear strike. You can certainly use them on a gas hob smile

StringOrNothing Sat 03-Sep-11 10:46:21

Le Creuset as in the really heavy cast iron jobs, or as in the earthenware ceramic jobs?

If the former then yes, if the latter then no.

Fuzzled Sat 03-Sep-11 11:17:55

Think they are the cast iron jobs.

Certainly I wouldn't want to drop one on my toe! grin

(I do have their ceramic pretty dishes - great for my lasagne! - and only put them in the oven.)

PigletJohn Sat 03-Sep-11 11:18:55

if you have not used them before, a useful tip is to wipe round the inside after washing and before putting away, with a bit of cooking oil on some kitchen roll. It just leaves a slight film which will help prevent them sticking next time you use them (this actually works on non-stick pans as well).

Getting them very clean in a dishwasher makes them inclined to stick and burn.

They take a very long time to get hot enough to use, but also a very long time to cool down after. So for most foods, turn off the heat before you have finished cooking. For some foods, such as scrambled eggs, turn off the heat before you start cooking.

Get some trivets or something to stand them on when you take them off the hob, they will damage almost all surfaces when hot, including laminate or wood worktops, or tiles.

They are very heavy so use two hands or you may sprain your wrist.

notnowImreading Sat 03-Sep-11 11:51:16

Don't turn the hob up too high - everything cooks much better if you do it on a medium heat and it won't stick too much. Also, I highly recommend the le creuset own brand cleaner - helped me rescue a second hand one. It's £4.99 but mine has lasted 4 years so far and I've got about half left.

alwaysme Sat 03-Sep-11 19:54:23

Whatever you do, don't drop one from a height (about work surface level) onto a hard floor. I learnt that cast iron cracks right through sad

I finally have a new one smile

promomum Sat 03-Sep-11 22:19:47

I've had my Le Creuset for 23 years. The casseroles are as good as new, despite having things burnt onto them over the years; the wooden handles on the saucepans have cracked from being in the dishwasher and leave a bit of a dirty mark on my hand from the metal part, but are still fine.

As others have said, no problem putting casseroles on the hob.

A good way of removing anything which burns on inside is to boil them up with some dishwasher powder/tablet inside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now