Talk

Advanced search

Choosing a bed and mattress - help!

(12 Posts)
Xiaoxiong Thu 01-Sep-11 12:43:47

I couldn't figure out where else this should go, so I figured good housekeepers would be able to advise me.

We sleep on a futon on the floor - I grew up this way and know lots about choosing futons but nothing about mattresses. Now at 27 weeks pregnant I have started feeling like a beetle on my back in the morning trying to get up and out of bed. Though this is difficult and annoying at the moment I feel obscurely like it's good exercise - but rationally I know that this could be a disaster in the making if I end up having a c-section. I'm hoping we can get one of those side-along cots for the baby too which people seem to like but we can't do that with a futon I don't think.

So today is the day. We are going here this evening.

Any tips on choosing a bed and bedframe, so I don't get taken in by a charming sales assistant? And also on maintenance and keeping them clean? Is it worth spending extra and getting a fancy mattress or do they all feel the same after a while?

Lilymaid Thu 01-Sep-11 13:05:04

Mattresses don't all feel the same after a while. You get what you pay for and a cheap mattress would be unlikely to remain comfortable for long.
The shop you are going to seems to only sell its own brand of mattresses, so I would suggest that you purchase a pocket sprung mattress rather than an open coil mattress (pocket sprung mattresses are better quality) and that you purchase at least a 5' bed unless you are squeezed for space. You'll need room for your family to be jumping into bed with you soon!
Test the mattress by lying on the bed for a long time, not just gingerly lying down and getting up immediately. And turn on your side as well as your back. You'll be sleeping on it for years, so you want to make sure it is comfortable.
Maintenance - vacuum regularly. Turn mattress following manufacturer's instructions. Cover mattress with some sort of mattress cover then sheet on top.

Xiaoxiong Thu 01-Sep-11 13:34:06

Thank you Lily that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. We will lie down on each bed - that's normal for bed shops? They won't come running up and tell us to get off their furniture??

And a mattress cover - is that a "mattress topper" or a "mattress protector"? (I'm looking on the John Lewis website and they seem to differentiate?)

nannyl Thu 01-Sep-11 13:48:46

id get a waterproof mattress protector.

you never know, your waters my break while in bed, and then you may have breast milk leakage followed by baby sick / leaky nappies etc.
I would very upset if those bodily fluids made it into my mattress!

I have a hippychick mattress protector which are waterproof but soft like cotton and breathable, and wash and tumble dry well. Then i have another mattress protector like this on top.

As im 38 weeks pg i have a spare plastic waterproof fitted sheet from ebay (£3 inc p&p) so if my waters go in bed, and i go into labour i dont have to worry about bleeding in bed the next night either,but unless in the wash i'll always have my lovely hippychick one the mattress.

I went to a bed shop and chose what mattress i like. (I think we decidied on a 1500 pocket sprung with memory foam on top of that) and then bought one of the same specification from ebay, for about a quater of the price as in the bed shop.

we have had it 18 months and its still as knew and the most confortable mattress i have ever slept on!

Lilymaid Thu 01-Sep-11 13:53:46

Bed shops expect people to lie down on the mattresses. Don't feel embarassed.
A mattress topper adds extra layers of softer material - they are used to make beds more comfortable.
A mattress protector protects the mattress from ... I think I'll leave out the possibilities. You can get waterproof mattress protectors (ideal for small children) but for adults you don't want waterproof.
You need some kind of mattress protector that you can wash occasionally. You only need a mattress topper if you find your bed uncomfortable.

Xiaoxiong Thu 01-Sep-11 15:16:26

Gosh all these things I never even considered.

I think a waterproof protector makes sense at least for the run-up to giving birth for sure...

Lilymaid why wouldn't you want waterproof for adults? Does it make you sweat in bed?

Lilymaid Thu 01-Sep-11 15:54:18

I wouldn't use a waterproof protector in normal circumstances - yes they do tend to either make you sweaty in bed or the waterproofing lasts only a short time or the material goes nasty and hard. I had a waterproof pad when I was pregnant (DH didn't want to have it on his side of the bed) in case my waters broke and also when babies were small. Apart from then, I can't say I have had any need for a waterproof cover - if the bedding is stained it can be cleaned easily and so can the mattress itself.
But then I'm sleeping on the same comfortable Vi-Spring mattress that we bought when we got married over 20 years ago.

nannyl Thu 01-Sep-11 17:54:48

thats why i have a hippychick one.

they are just completely different to any other normal waterproof protector, and are not crinkly / sweaty at all. much more like a cotton sheet, and they are breathable.

expensive but worth every penny IMO cause id rather stick that in the washing machine than replace my mattress. You can wash them at 60, or maybe even 90 cant remember but still hot!

mine has also been genuinely useful when i dropped a whole cup of tea in bed, and also when i was really sick with HG and was sick in my bed too. I also had a hot water bottle that sprung a leak and i woke up soaked, again my waterproof mattress protector ensured my mattress remained bone dry....

wannabefree Sun 04-Sep-11 23:49:08

I've just got rid of my old mattress and I'd definitely recommend the use of a waterproof mattress protector if you're pregnant! I breastfed/co-slept with two babies each for two years, and the results on the mattress don't bear thinking/talking about!

<<shudders>>

cat64 Sun 04-Sep-11 23:59:56

Message withdrawn

Xiaoxiong Mon 05-Sep-11 15:15:31

Thanks for the great advice everyone - we ended up buying this bedframe and mattress in the king size as it was on special - we ended up getting everything for 50% off.

We did try all the mattresses though - the pocket spring one was definitely more comfortable and we spent the extra money on Lilymaid's advice. And a hippychick mattress protector will be the next stop thanks to nannyl and wannabe.

The tempur memory foam ones were just weird (and so expensive and weighed a ton)!! Guess it must be an acquired taste to sleep on one of those...

Tallboy Mon 05-Sep-11 15:33:46

I adore my Tempur mattress. It does take a couple of days to get used to it but aster that it feels so comfortable. It supports every bit of body. Marvellous invention even my DH likes it.

I had to give it up during pregnancy though as turning was an effort in it. Ended up using a chap ikea sofabed mattress for pregnancy and ody c-section.

Enjoy your new bed and best wishes for new baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now