Talk

Advanced search

Is there a product that neutralises the smell of cigarette smoke?

(11 Posts)
cantpackwontpack Wed 31-Aug-11 10:05:06

My mother is coming to stay and she is a heavy smoker. It has taken ages to get through to her than she absolutely cannot smoke in the kitchen, living area etc but she still has the occasional sneaky one in her room when she is here.

Both DP and I are non-smokers and hate the smell. Even with the door closed and window open the smell drifts around the house.

Is there anything I can use to stop the smell getting out into the house.

(We rarely see her so can't ban her entirely)

Thanks

BedHog Wed 31-Aug-11 10:15:37

I doubt it, smokers just don't seem to understand how far the disgusting stench spreads. I can smell our neighbour having a fag outside of her house, even with doors and windows closed.

MrsRhettButler Wed 31-Aug-11 10:20:44

I can't remember which brand but one of those plugin things has an anti cig smoke refill and it really works, it neutralises the smell

Il have a look and see if I can find it for you

MrsRhettButler Wed 31-Aug-11 10:23:19

I can't find the exact one there seems to be a few but if you oto a supermarket I'm sure you will be able to find one

MrsRhettButler Wed 31-Aug-11 10:24:17

Oto - go to

fargate Wed 31-Aug-11 10:38:10

I've found that burning frankinsense incense [sp?] sticks works well - tho' I'm not sure if they neutralise the smell or just hide it with something more potent.

I'm not keen on air-fresheners because they are full of dubious chemicals. Frankinsence has been around for millenia and has medicinal rather than harmful properties

Smells a bit 'church-y' but I don't mind that.

luxuryhamper Wed 31-Aug-11 10:39:22

get her to smoke under the kitchen extractor hood.

i think it depends on the cigarette on how much it smells, some are worse than others

shodatin Wed 31-Aug-11 23:39:38

I think it was Prices who made a candle-in-a-tin specifically for cig smoke, and it worked very well, costing £1.60 or similar. One of these in her bedroom would also neutralise the smell on her hair and clothes etc - I'd get two!

clawsatELVES Thu 01-Sep-11 00:44:41

Leaving an inch or so of white vinegar in a cup or bowl - ideally more than one - in the room. This really honestly does work, I'm not (yet) the type of person who uses vinegar for everything, but I do for this. Even used it as an idiot teen, when I snuck the odd crafty fag. The vinegar smell goes pretty quickly once the room is aired.

Of course no mention of vinegar on this topic can pass with also mentioning its partner in cleaning - bicarb. Sprinkle this on sofas etc if they stink too.

But first, you need to INSIST that she does not smoke in your house - if that's what you want. It's outside or nothing.

Poodlehorse Fri 02-Sep-11 10:28:20

Or she can get some of those plastic ciggies they sell on planes for internal nico fixes. Your house, your rules.

SeniorWrangler Sat 03-Sep-11 19:04:00

The Price candle is blardy fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now