Talk

Advanced search

Are premade sofa covers always horrible?

(5 Posts)
Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 31-Aug-11 08:35:13

I have a sofabed that's patterned in a hideous fabric. In an ideal world, I'd bung it on Freecycle and buy a new one, but in a ideal world I would also be rich. So I was hoping I could just re-cover it - it's alright if the cover has to come off when I use it for guests, since that only happens annually.

But am I right that sofa covers just basically look like someone's chucked a huge sheet over the thing? I've bought one which doesn't fit right despite the packet saying that it was the right size, and google turns up loads which are either 'loose fit' (sheet chucked over) or weird stretchy things that won't work with a sleeper.

Am I missing a solution here? Am I going to have to buy a new sofa just for aesthetic reasons? This one is really hideous.

minipie Wed 31-Aug-11 11:56:40

You can get sofa covers made to measure, which would fit, but cost quite a lot more than the pre-made ones.

What about dying the existing covers? (a dark colour which would hide the pattern). Are they removable? What is the fabric made of - if it's natural fibres you have a good chance of getting a good result. There are threads on Money Saving Expert's forum about dying sofa covers.

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 31-Aug-11 12:07:45

Yeah, by the time I pay for pre-made I might as well just save up and buy a new sofa, since the sofabed isn't very expensive or particularly nicely shaped in the first place. I'm just looking for the cheapest possible fix. The existing cover isn't removable, sadly.

I can't be the only person with a hideous sofa and no spare cash, surely?

minipie Wed 31-Aug-11 12:22:47

I think the usual solution is to cover it with a blanket!

I don't have any recommendations for the pre-made covers but someone else may do. Otherwise, it's possible someone might be offering a sofa on Freecycle...?

Bloodybridget Wed 31-Aug-11 15:19:32

We got "made to measure" ones that actually look fairly crap, saggy and baggy. Bloody expensive too. Only did it because the sofa and armchair were favourites.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now