Talk

Advanced search

Multi fuel stove

(7 Posts)
Tinkerisdead Tue 30-Aug-11 19:29:08

we've moved into a house with a multiple fuel stove. Chimney was swept last week and we have a huge shed of scrap wood. We've only had a couple of fires and have no idea what we're doing really.

We have a coal bunker and tried a bit of coal which produced a better heat. I'd like some coal to use with the free wood but I have no idea how much it costs or where is best to buy it?

We have never had a fire In previous homes either so it's confusing, are we aiming for a roaring fire with orange flames licking or a slow ember akin to a BBQ?

Can anyone help, it's already getting chilly and we want to get an efficient heat for winter.

Tinkerisdead Tue 30-Aug-11 21:19:38

Bump bump bump. Anyone?

KatyMac Tue 30-Aug-11 21:22:06

What brand/make of stove is it

Wood is better (IMO - but I am a greenie)

It should burn up to about very hot about 300 I think then settle down - you can buy a magnetic thermometer which has safe burning temps on the side (but generally I let it get very hot twice a day, then a nice glow)

pickgo Tue 30-Aug-11 21:27:35

Coal from a coal merchant? they usually deliver.

Is wood properly dried out? You can get a moisture meter to check its moisture content - should be no more than 20%. See here for lots of info

strictlovingmum Tue 30-Aug-11 21:44:48

OK, We consider ourselves experts when it comes to fires(two multi fuel stoves in the house, one does 13 radiators and all the hot water, no gas in the house).
To build strong fire, the bottom first layer should be coal, on top of the coal put crimp pled news paper, on the top of the paper layers of kindling s, generously, once you light the fire make sur,e if you have air wash dumper that it is open, if not, ash pan door should be left slightly ajar open, only briefly until fire catches properly, then shut the door, once your roaring fire is calming down, from then on you continue either with dry logs, or anthracite coal.
Coal will give you load more calorie, hence more heath for longer.
Look for you local coal merchant, they will deliver it and put it all away for you, coal you will need this coming winter, it is more economical then logs, I tend to use logs when I am roasting or baking, it gives food beautiful aroma, otherwise it's coal all the way.
It take a little practice, but once you master it you will have a very warm house, and you will be pleased with those stoves and all the effort you have put in "art of making fire"smile

Tinkerisdead Tue 30-Aug-11 22:19:34

Thank you. I don't know the make of it. The wood in the shed has been there for years so assume it's seasoned and okay to use. I'll seek out the local coal merchant then to see how much it'll cost.

It was freezing in our old house tonight and so dh made a little fire. By turning vents down it went from roaring flames to an intense heat that was almost too much. I'll try the tips and hopefully by Christmas I can get a decent fire going!

KatyMac Wed 31-Aug-11 23:04:37

Take a photo & we can all try & guess the brand

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now