Talk

Advanced search

I don't know where to start

(17 Posts)
Sookeh Tue 30-Aug-11 18:30:46

DD starts nursery in 2 weeks and I would love a tidy organised home for the start of it to make the change easier. I've suffered with terrible pnd and I've been sectioned so everything has really gotten on top of me, it's really a bomb site.
I don't know where to start.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated, it seems like every other mum copes better than I do sad

Canistaysane Tue 30-Aug-11 18:44:22

Just try a little each day and gradually you should start to notice the difference. 5 minutes here and there all adds up.
I think a lot of mums struggle, some more than others though, I have bad days and good days.
I don't know how old your dc are but i'm guessing young.
If she is a baby or toddler then try not to be hard on yourself. it's hard when they are this age. I have a two yr old and she can be difficult.
Hope this helps.

RoyalWelsh Tue 30-Aug-11 18:47:42

When I feel like it is all getting a bit too messy, I grab a bin bag and walk round one room at a time, throwing everything away that is genuinely rubbish.

I open the windows to let some fresh air in, which somehow always makes things feel tidier. At least in my house...

Depending on what room, I then take any sort of cutlery/crockery etc and place it in/above the dishwasher.

I always find sweeping/hoovering the floor drastically improves the look of a room, but I have wooden floors with a cat and a dog that shed hari on what seems to be an hourly basis.

I hope you start to feel better soon smile

TeamDamon Tue 30-Aug-11 18:53:17

Sookeh - I love your name and am very envy that I didn't think of it first. Have found you this to cheer you up. grin

Start with one room. Choose one room to make a comfortable refuge from the rest of the house - the living room, so that you can relax at the end of the day when your DD is in bed and watch True Blood on DVD What I do is put everything that doesn't belong in that room in a washing basket and dump it in the hall/at the bottom of the stairs. You can then dust and hoover the living room, put all the things that belong in there back in their place, and voila! A room done.

You do have to then deal with the washing basket of crap stuff but baby steps!

Sookeh Tue 30-Aug-11 18:57:42

Thank you all for the advice, I'll definitely be trying it all! I just get overwhelmed so easily by the smallest things.
I know my mood is better when things are clean and tidy but I can't seem to find the motivation to get and keep it that way.

Arf Damon! That was the exact episode I got it from grin

I am also team Damon, not long until the new series!

Canistaysane Tue 30-Aug-11 19:07:41

If you want to you are welcome to join the Babysteps Flylady thread.smile
We all started in the middle of August but we have just had a few new people join too.
you can take things at your own pace, you don't have to keep up.
It's up to you but the offer is there. I understand if you don't feel ready.

TeamDamon Tue 30-Aug-11 19:09:12

Sooooo - never mind the tidying, come and sit on the sofa and help me choose between Damon, Bill and Eric. grin

Sookeh Tue 30-Aug-11 19:12:10

Thanks Can, I might just do that!

Also Damon, the answer is and always will be, Eric Northman swoon

Canistaysane Wed 31-Aug-11 07:51:05

How are you today sookeh?
Hope you are feeling o.k. If you still want to join the babysteps thread you are still welcome. I thought it might give you a bit of support. It starts off quite easy then you gradually build up and do a little more. Don't worry if you see some of us with long to do lists, we get a bit carried away some times.

Sookeh Wed 31-Aug-11 08:25:25

Probably not today Can, I've been up most of the night with a poorly 8mo DS sad

Canistaysane Wed 31-Aug-11 08:32:41

O.k. Sookeh, Hope he gets better soon. If you feel like joining us in the future just come along.

rubyrubyruby Wed 31-Aug-11 08:38:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sookeh Wed 31-Aug-11 10:56:38

Ruby, do you mind telling me what is on your daily list.

I'm just trying to get an idea of things that should be done every day without fail and go from there.

rubyrubyruby Fri 02-Sep-11 23:04:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Canistaysane Sat 03-Sep-11 08:41:01

Sookeh, how are you feeling? Hope you are feeling better.

Team Damon had good advice about trying to sort one room like- your living room so you have somewhere fairly nice too chill out at the end of a day.smile
Just try one small job at a time then when you are happy with that job give yourself a rest, then move onto the next job. just take it slow and you will get there.

Sookeh Sat 03-Sep-11 10:07:29

Thanks for that Ruby smile

Hi Can. I'm not feeling too bad but have only managed to deep clean 1 room (my bedroom) and time is ticking away.

Having a new kindle is not helping my motivation to get out of bed grin

SeniorWrangler Sat 03-Sep-11 18:51:58

This might be helpful.
austerityhousekeeping.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/weekly-cleaning-schedule-2/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now