Talk

Advanced search

Bleaching a stain out of a plain white top

(7 Posts)
lohby Sat 27-Aug-11 17:59:13

One of my tops has a stain on it, I love the top and want to try and save it.

I used vanish straight away and it didn't get it out, I have also tried stain devils.

The stain is chocolate sauce from an ice cream so not sure why it won't come out!

Can I bleach the top? How do I do it? It is plain white - no patterns or colours.

MatthewWrightOffTheTelly Sat 27-Aug-11 18:03:00

A good long soak in Napisan often works for me. White tops can look a bit blue after soaking but fine when washed. Better (and cheaper) than Vanish IMO.

Driftwood999 Sat 27-Aug-11 20:19:20

Sew something cute over the stain?

tallulah Sat 27-Aug-11 20:38:18

Chocolate sauce is really difficult to get out if you don't manage to straight away.

We had the same problem with one of DD's new dresses. I tried soaking in napisan, pre-washing, you name it. What finally got it out was to make a paste of the white vanish powder and rub it well into the stain. Leave it on- quite thick - and let it work. (don't put the garment in water, just leave it out). I can't remember how long I left it but you can see it working, and it shifted the stain completely.

lohby Sun 28-Aug-11 13:15:10

tallulah - you genuis! I tried that overnight and this morning I washed it - and NO stain! Thanks so much.

tallulah Sun 28-Aug-11 14:52:49

Glad to be of help grin

shodatin Mon 29-Aug-11 21:47:58

Have made a note of this, thanks. My last-resort method is to hold stained part of garment over a sieve while pouring kettle-full of boiling water through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now