Talk

Advanced search

mould on bathroom ceiling

(7 Posts)
nearlytherenow Fri 26-Aug-11 09:56:54

The ceiling of our en-suite bathroom has lots of patches of mould on it (black mould, kind of grows in patches / dots, particularly around the spotlights). This has been a problem since we moved into the house 2 years ago (house is 8 years old). I've scrubbed it off with bleach / mould spray, but it keeps coming back and is now looking really quite bad. I don't think the roof is leaking, but what else could be causing it and what do I do about it? We leave the window open and the extractor fan on for a good hour or two after we have showers, but it's not helping.

leeloo1 Fri 26-Aug-11 14:43:40

Mould is almost always down to poor ventilation. Apparently mould spores are always in the air and look for a chance to grow anywhere thats warm and damp.

What windows do you have in the room? (We're hopefully having our Double Glazing re-done next week, as our current windows are aluminium ones, which attract condensation and mould). Are they open enough to really air the room? Could you use a dehumidifier in there? Oh and I really rate Dettol mould and mildew remover. smile

mousymouse Fri 26-Aug-11 15:15:53

do you air the house? does the room have a ventilator?
en-suites tend to be in corners that are difficult to ventilate.

what we do is opening all windows of the house for a few mins every morning and evening and after a shower we keeo the lights on in the bathroom so the ventilator is on and keep it on for an hour or so. we stll have the grouts go mouldy every year or so, but so far no mould in corners.

dreamingofsun Fri 26-Aug-11 22:09:35

we have same problem. you might be able to get a more powerful unit in the extractor fan - think it cost about 45 for ours. its improved ours a bit - though not solved entirely. you can also get special paint to reduce it. its too much warmth/dampness from the shower and not enough ventilation.

timetosmile Fri 26-Aug-11 22:13:08

I think it's inevitable, even with good ventilation.
We dab on the bleach every so often, too.
Tried some ?Dulux Mould-free paint in the (slightly dank) unheated downstairs loo 2 years ago, and it has worked a treat.

MintChocAddict Fri 26-Aug-11 22:17:00

Agree with anti-mould paint and opening windows more frequently. Our bathroom ceiling was really bad but hasn't come back since we used the paint and ventilated a bit more.

nearlytherenow Sat 27-Aug-11 20:17:46

Thanks all. I have scrubbed the mould off again with bleach and am going to get some anti-mould paint tomorrow. I will also look into the possibility of upgrading the extractor fan, as I leave ours on for hours after showers but it doesn't seem to be doing the job. I also eave the window open for most of the day, but it only opens a little at the top - about 5 inches - which doesn't seem to be enough either. Great suggestions though, hopefully something will work as I'm getting pretty fed up of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now