Talk

Advanced search

Is wallpapering as awkward as it looks?

(9 Posts)
YouDoTheMath Thu 25-Aug-11 17:17:07

I'm about to decorate DD's bedroom, and I'd like to paper one of the Walls. Trouble is, I can't imagine not losing my rag in the process. Is it hard to get it all lined up correctly, and not to let it peel away as it's drying?

upahill Thu 25-Aug-11 17:17:55

Put it this way, I always pay decorators to do the job! grin

AuntieMonica Thu 25-Aug-11 17:21:34

i think if you've never done it before, it's very difficult to do by yourself the 1st time, but once you've got the hang of it (see what i did there grin) it's very satisfying.

a good brush to push the paper onto the wall is very important IMO, and a plumbline helps to get the paper straight.

StopRainingPlease Thu 25-Aug-11 17:38:58

It's not that hard. I prefer to do it with 2 of us though, one to paste and one to hang the paper and swear at the one who's pasting.

rotool Fri 26-Aug-11 22:56:34

It's not hard but make sure you have a sharp pair of scissors and a steel rule as this will make it much easier. Don't be afraid to put lots of paste on the edges and that you have a large table to put the paper on whilst pasting and a damp sponge to wipe over the paper when it is on the wall to get the air bubbles out....phew!!

thisisyesterday Fri 26-Aug-11 23:01:44

depends on your walls/ceilings

dp had a hellish time trying to do our room because our ceiling is quite wonky so cutting along the top was really difficult, ditto cutting in the corners

rimmerfleadick Fri 26-Aug-11 23:14:15

Have you got the paper yet. ?.

You could have a look at superfresco type, were you paste thw wall.

www.grahambrown.com/uk/wallpaper-brands/Superfresco%20Easy

Don't forget the drop or repeat in a patterned paper.

Just take your time fixing the 1st hang and make sure it's straight. (plumbline).

Also start on the side which is most open i.e no wardrobe against the wall, s you may need to overlap into one corner depending on the wall length and paper width. Mix paste as per label for paper type.

pengymum Fri 26-Aug-11 23:20:45

Draw the plumbline onto wall first so that you have your straight line to start from. If you are doing a chimney breast, start in the middle so that you don't have a join in the middle of the chimney breast just where you notice it the most!
Make sure you have bucket for glue, good pasting brush and large enough table for pasting and the right equipment to hand. A smoothing brush to brush out the bubbles, a seam roller, a sponge or cloth to wipe off excess glue. Sharp scissors, sharp stanley knife and long metal ruler, pencil and chalk for marking plumbline. A plumb weight and long string and a sturdy, firm stepladder.
Make sure your walls are clean and dry and fill in any holes, cracks etc before you start. Don't forget to sandpaper them smooth either as any imperfections may be highlighted by the paper!

I paste the walls with a thin glue mix first and then paste the paper - I find it is easier to slide it into place that way. Check your repeat on the paper and match it up first when dry so that you know what it looks like. Then double check as it is easy to get it wrong way up! Then off you go!
Make sure your pattern matches and the roll the seams to give a virtually invisible join.

Start brushing from the middle out to edge to minimise the bubbles. I cut the edges with a stanley knife when the paper is dry using the metal ruler as the guide but be very careful doing this as once have cut too much is hard to rectify! You may prefer to use scissors when paper is still damp.

I prefer to paper rather than paint - my sis prefers to paint rather than paper!
Good luck and enjoy!

pengymum Fri 26-Aug-11 23:23:56

Forgot to say - if you are doing a corner, try not to have too much paper to go round as is hard to get this smooth. Best to have a just a little going over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now