Talk

Advanced search

My carpet is filthy. Proper filthy.

(25 Posts)
QueeferSutherland Wed 24-Aug-11 11:53:34

It is beige. I have 3 DC.

What can I do/throw at it?

going Wed 24-Aug-11 11:55:02

Borrow a carpet cleaner from Homebase/Johnsons or call in a professional.

QueeferSutherland Wed 24-Aug-11 12:22:06

Do they really work then?

Would it be as cost effective to buy a vax and wash them myself like that, or is a proffesional one better?

WorkInProgress Wed 24-Aug-11 12:35:54

I am happily (!) cleaning with a hired machine today. It is doing a good job. Much better than a vax. I have never used professional cleaners, but at £30 to hire this seems a better way to go ! Going to try cleaning the sofa with it later.

jjgirl Wed 24-Aug-11 12:58:18

i have a bissell spotlifter that i use regulary on certain well trod sections of carpet. it does get quite a workout but the carpet is definately cleaner.

QueeferSutherland Wed 24-Aug-11 14:30:12

WiP, where was yours from, may I ask?

Jjgirl, what is this spot cleaner of which you speak? I don't have spots so much as areas of filth.

Notwavingbutcrowning Wed 24-Aug-11 15:05:46

I hired a Rug Doctor from B+Q recently and it did a great job. I had pale carpets with general grubby high traffic areas plus food/drink stains thanks to the DCs. I used the high traffic spray on treatment first, then the machine with R.D. detergent and antifoam stuff. If you chose not to use antifoam but then get foaming in the dirty water collection tank it reduces the efficiency of the vacuum, hence damper carpets afterwards. The water came out like mud soup! It took a few passes to get it clean, then I did a couple of passes with just hot water to rinse the last filth out - too stingy to use detergent every time but it worked fine. The carpet where I didn't have time for this last water-only rinse feels a little less crisp and clean but is still fine. Only downsides were the incredibly loud engine noise (I used earplugs) and it's quite heavy work, but still definitely worth it. Haven't tried the hose attachment on upholstery or stairs though.

QueeferSutherland Wed 24-Aug-11 16:55:58

Ah, sounds interesting. Mud soup eh? If I hire at c*!ting Homebase I'll get nectar points though. (I hate homebase.)

Notwaving, are you having a baby?! I don't go near the birth/pregnancy threads any more in case I get broody, but noticed your obstetric-themed namechange.

ShoutyBag Wed 24-Aug-11 17:10:20

How hard are rugdoctors to use, I mean do you really have to put your back into it, like the old orange vaxes?

WorkInProgress Wed 24-Aug-11 17:23:40

I got mine from Morrisons. Not too hard to use, just awkward, because you can't go back and forewards, only backwards - tiring but not too bad, like using a heavy old hoover. I used the upholstery attachment on the sofa and that was easy to do and seems to have come up ok, but can't really tell yet as it's still damp ! I used the upholstery attachment on stains on the carpet too and that worked well. I didn't use the anti foam, the carpets are quite damp, hopefully will dry by tomorrow. Was going to go the whole hog and do the car too, but it's started raining!

NickettyNacketty Wed 24-Aug-11 18:05:38

Can you use a rug doctor to clean carpeted stairs?

WorkInProgress Wed 24-Aug-11 19:47:26

I used the uphostery attachment on ours. It seems to have worked.

supadupapupascupa Wed 24-Aug-11 19:51:17

how much is it to hire a rug doctor from B&Q?

boringnamechange Wed 24-Aug-11 20:15:17

£19.99 for 24 hours for normal, £24.98 for wide.
£24.98 for 48 hours for normal, 29.99 for wide.
Apparantly wide just takes less time.

Buzzybritches Thu 25-Aug-11 10:50:37

Little tip - hire for 48 hours and split cost with a friend or neighbour- a day each!

LawrieMarlow Thu 25-Aug-11 10:53:57

How long is it after you have used a rug doctor type thing before you can put sofas etc back? Is it days or hours?

AitchTwoOh Thu 25-Aug-11 10:56:35

get some quotes from teh professionals as well, though, and when you are comparing prices remember to factor in the cost of the cleaning materials. i worked it out and it was pretty much easy-oasy between doing it myself or getting someone in. but then i don't have a huge amount of carpet.

jjgirl Thu 25-Aug-11 13:00:41

this is what i have. i do whole sections of carpet at a time with it and not just "spots" it has been well worth the price.

AitchTwoOh Thu 25-Aug-11 13:22:56

that does look good... do you use the proper cleaner stuff or does fairy do the trick?

QueeferSutherland Thu 25-Aug-11 14:19:10

Good tips Buzzy & Aitch. I bet I can find someone with similarly gopping carpets in the locale.

QueeferSutherland Thu 25-Aug-11 14:22:03

Hold the 'phone... My head's been turned by the "Spotbot" on that site jj.

A carpet cleaning robot. [drifts into reverie]

BuckBuckMcFate Thu 25-Aug-11 14:25:48

I had a vax cleaner and loved it. I used to put washing powder and a bit of fab conditioner in mine because I'm tight! But wouldn't do it with a hire machine.

We've got wooden floors now and the vax died after 7 years service and I miss it for doing the rugs.

Vanish heavy area foam spray thing is crap. Don't be tempted by it!

superv1xen Thu 25-Aug-11 14:27:10

rip it out and get laminate grin

(sorry) blush

upahill Thu 25-Aug-11 14:31:20

I 've got pale carpets in the front room and the middle room.
i get someone in twice a year.
The move all the furniture and replace.

It cost £45 for the two rooms and done within an hour.

the method they use means it's dry pretty much instantly and it makes a world of difference to the carpet.

really good!

AitchTwoOh Thu 25-Aug-11 20:02:57

i've just ordered that bissell thing, it's generally £50+ so not a bad deal for forty, i thought. will report back re my manky rugs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now