Talk

Advanced search

Extreme housekeeping practices!!! Freezing the rubbish anyone?

(6 Posts)
anonymousbird Wed 24-Aug-11 10:39:37

Just got back from at stay at my folks. Mum now puts her food rubbish in the freezer until collection day... words failed me so I didn't find out why she doesn't just put it in the bin like anyone else! It's not hard to bag it up to prevent spills in the outside bin!

GypsyMoth Wed 24-Aug-11 10:41:42

Does she have weekly collection? Or fortnightly?

A special freezer for it? Or in with the normal food?

SuePurblybilt Wed 24-Aug-11 10:52:54

I can kind of see the logic. Isn't it just table scraps and peelings anyway? If it was good enough to eat and she freezes it straight away, it's not going to contaminate anything, is it?

Rubbish (wrappings, icky stuff) would be madness but I don't see the problem with peelings.

AngelDog Wed 24-Aug-11 13:06:03

I used to do this with the containers for meat / meat scraps etc in the summer as they'd get really smelly in the bin and we'd be overrun by flies. I'd put them all in one big freezer bag. We have fortnightly bin collection.

Shell178 Fri 26-Aug-11 14:01:29

I do freeze the occasional things before bin collection day, but they are only things that would smell if left for longer than a couple of days such as egg, fish or uncooked chicked (which I forget to use).

Perhaps all food is a bit too far.

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 29-Aug-11 00:07:31

I started doing this too, about a year ago. The smell of the bin after even just one day in the summer sun was turning my stomach. There's not much; just what DS is reluctant to finish, and bones (peelings etc. go into a compost heap), so everything fits into a small plastic tub e.g. packaging box for mushrooms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now