Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for cheap made-to-measure curtains?

(9 Posts)
Tigerinmysoup Mon 22-Aug-11 23:01:28

I need some new curtains for our spare room as it is soon to become DS' room, but it has an annoyingly wide window so standard curtains just don't fit. Can anyone recommend a retailer for cheap (but still decent quality) made-to-measure curtains? I just got a quote from John Lewis as my starting point and it came back with £330 (gulp) - not including tie-backs for £40...... Or is this the going rate for made-to-measure..?

sniffy Mon 22-Aug-11 23:17:07

google Econermine

fabanflabby Mon 22-Aug-11 23:39:05

try 247curtains - they have a sale online.

nannyl Tue 23-Aug-11 08:42:00

do you know anyone with a sewing machine who is good at sewing....

then you could by material and the curtain tab material and pay them a few ££ to turn it into curtains.

apparently curtains are "really easy" so they might not mind

BikeRunSki Tue 23-Aug-11 08:52:14

I found a local lady with a sewing machine who made me up some curtians - 400cm x 150 cm - for £35/pair. I bought the fabric, lining etc from Kidfabrics, who have a lovely selection. Worked out about £130/pair (and they are big curtains). I found my lady by asking at a local haberdashery shop - try local craft shops, or dry cleaners that do alterations.

treesinthebreeze Tue 23-Aug-11 14:52:23

Dunelm!

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Tue 23-Aug-11 19:00:08

ebay,sorry if that sounds cheap but we bought a second hand pair for a huge window,made to measure from john lewis & cost us the grand total of £20 all in,but only if you are prepared to have second hand & not be bothered as I am grin

YouDoTheMath Tue 23-Aug-11 19:41:28

Wilkinsons.

We have wide windows - I just buy two pairs of curtains, one for either end, and stitch each pair together so it's not like you've got four separate curtains. That way the gather looks better when the curtains are drawn.

They're not pricey.

iskra Tue 23-Aug-11 19:42:45

I agree that they are not hard to make, if you know anyone who can sew in a straight line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now