Talk

Advanced search

New house - no airing cupboard, how do I get things really dry?

(14 Posts)
MonaPomona Sun 21-Aug-11 13:51:39

we moved in last month, and our new home has no airing cupboard... I am lost without it - not just for toasting clothes prior to putting away (waistbands will not dry outside for days on end) - but also where do I store loo rolls, towels, sheets etc, my iron, hot water bottles. Cant believe what an essential piece of kit an airing cupboard is.

My mum suggested a chest for sheets and towels and hanging stuff on radiators to dry but radiators are off at the mo and I hate that student feel of washing hanging everywhere.

Any ideas what to do? (ps no tumble drier and I dont want to get one as not eco friendly and expensive)

thanks!

Gumps Sun 21-Aug-11 13:59:05

I'm afraid it's a pita and you just have to leave them out to dry for ages. A friend of mine built a special cupboard with a radiator/ heater in it just for this purpose. If only i had the room. Damn you combi boiler.

DaisySteiner Sun 21-Aug-11 14:00:35

Get a ceiling airer, stuff dries really quickly on them.

booyhoo Sun 21-Aug-11 14:03:12

do you have a spare room or a large enough cupboard elsewhere that you could put a little heater in?

WhoWhoWhoWho Sun 21-Aug-11 14:20:34

We had a ceiling airer on a pulley in our old house which worked well. Could get loads on it and it was out of the way while it dried.

Have an airing cupboard now but I never use it to dry things, just to store things in once they are dry. (Towels, flannels, bedding, etc)

MonaPomona Sun 21-Aug-11 14:37:11

there is a built in cupboard in the spare room - what kind of heater/radiator would be suitable/not too expensive to run?

dc2 is due next week and I am thinking of how to dry nappies throughout the winter as well as all the other washing.

cyb Sun 21-Aug-11 14:38:51

I've never had an airing cupboard and have used washing line, tumble drier or pulley drier, or rads if worst came to worst

I keep my loo rolls in each loo, just dont buy massive bulk packets

Towels in drawers in bed, and how many hot water bottles have you got? grin

cece Sun 21-Aug-11 14:43:57

Dry clothes outside on line or inside on an airer.

Loo rolls all kept near to the toilet in a cupboard.on a shelf.

Hot water bottles kept in cupboard under kitchen sink, so they are handy for the kettle.

Duvets, sheet and towels kept on a shelf in a built in cupbaord in one of the bedrooms.

Thumbwitch Sun 21-Aug-11 14:44:11

I have no airing cupboard but have a large airer (not large enough angry) that I hang stuff on to dry indoors. We don't have central heating either but I have an electric oil heater in our bedroom for overnight in winter, so the washing airs in there. Usually takes a couple of nights to get it dry.

If you have nappies, get a tumble drier - I had to for this winter, couldn't cope last winter (I'm in Australia, not weird) - but don't like to use it for all clothes in case they shrink. Tis fine for towels, nappies, linens, fleeces etc. though.

I miss my airing cupboard and central heating sooooooo much. sad

booyhoo Sun 21-Aug-11 14:44:30

not sure about what sort of heater tbh, i dont have any, just radiators but the built in cupboard sounds ideal. could you get a couple of rows of slats installed in there for hanging stuff on?

booyhoo Sun 21-Aug-11 14:46:15

i agree about the tumble drier for nappies. i really could not have done without mine tbh.

AchtungBaby Sun 21-Aug-11 14:46:44

Buy a dehumidifier! I just bought one, and it's fab.

It makes clothes on an airer dry much quicker (and has solved our condensation-on-the-windows problem too).

Naoko Sun 21-Aug-11 23:36:20

Dry outside whenever possible, and buy a couple of airers. Stick them in the box room, then the studenty washing-everywhere look is confined to one room at least. Make sure you spread things well on them, nothing doubled up, scrunched up, or overlapping something else. Keep the box room nice and warm, and make sure to air it too so it doesn't get too humid. You should be able to dry things that way.

Or get a dryer if you can afford it/have the room. I can't, so I have airers - works fine though, even in the dead of winter everything dries in under 24 hours. Don't like airing cupboards anyway, everything in them seems to go kind of musty. Mine is stuffed full of random crap I don't know where to put. (currently it contains a spare rabbit cage, a jewellery box with things I don't wear a lot, a crate of toiletries I'm allergic to, a set of really ugly curtains that aren't mine, and several boxes of assorted things DP won't let me throw out.)

mousymouse Mon 22-Aug-11 09:17:02

we don't have an airing cupboard and even if we had I wouldn't use it to dry stuff.

what really helps
- give the clothes an extra spin cycle after washing
- air the house at least 10 min mornings and evenings even in winter
- get a proper airer, one where you don't layer stuff on top of each other
- dry clothes outside if possible

so far we don't have any problems with mould and don't have dehumidifier. jeans dry in about 24 hours.
I have a washer/dryer but only use the dryer part in winter for large items like duvet covers and to fluff up the towels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now