Talk

Advanced search

How do I remove marks on a shirt caused by the iron?

(9 Posts)
BecauseImWorthIt Sun 21-Aug-11 11:41:35

DH has a favourite shirt - turquoise and white striped linen - and our cleaner has managed to mark it because the iron soleplate wasn't clean.

He's washed the shirt but it hasn't come out. Is it a burn/beyond help, or is there anything that will magically remove it?

And while I'm about it on the useless housewife front, how do you clean the soleplate of the iron anyway?!

SuePurblybilt Sun 21-Aug-11 11:44:40

My inner Mrs Beeton is telling me lemon juice for the scorch and toothpaste for the iron. I am wondering if I made that up or if I have a domestic goddess in me trying to get out would explain why I never seem to get any thinner.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 21-Aug-11 11:49:22

grin

The mark on the shirt isn't a scorch so much as transferring what was on the iron onto the fabric - and of course, it has been 'fixed' by the ironing process (and no doubt by the washing too)

SuePurblybilt Sun 21-Aug-11 11:53:10

Here goggled
The comments bit says baking soda for the mucky mark on the shirt. Worth a try - I use baking powder for stains and it's never made it worse so you may as well......

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 21-Aug-11 11:57:46

Oooh - thank you. Your Googling/Goggling skills are much better than mine.

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 21-Aug-11 11:59:51

The critical thing, in terms of marital/domestic relations, though, is how to get the marks off the shirt!

SuePurblybilt Sun 21-Aug-11 12:07:47

Try the baking powder is my only and best - mix it into a paste, leave on for an hour and then wash. Or buy an identical shirt on ebay grin

nannyl Sun 21-Aug-11 12:12:43

this is what you need to clean an iron

its is magic and really really works. hardly any elbow grease required!

BecauseImWorthIt Sun 21-Aug-11 13:10:18

Thanks Sue!

And thanks, too, nannyl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now