Talk

Advanced search

Hate my Henry - recommend me a new vacuum cleaner

(37 Posts)
everyonebutme Fri 19-Aug-11 11:44:00

I find Henry heavy and cumbersome and actually not that good at vacuuming. Want to buy a new vacuum that'll last - maybe an upright this time. I've heard Sebo and Miele are good brands. Like the idea of ease of emptying Dysons. Any recommendations of good models to buy?

Forgottensomething Fri 19-Aug-11 11:48:46

I had a hetty (henrys sister) and found the same

Then was walking past the window of the british heart foundation shop in town and saw a dyson for 30 quid (tested with a six month gurenteed) I would never normally spent the full amount on a dyson but thought I'd try it

Omg my carpets have never been so clean and no worrying bout stupid bags (have a dog so do that a lot! )

So I'd say dyson is totally worth it ! My grand had hers for like 15 years and says the same

peachybums Sun 21-Aug-11 22:55:34

I love my henry and absolutly HATED my dyson i had before. BTW i have zip up washable bags for my henry so changing isnt a problem for me. Miele are supposed to be good my friends had hers about 6 years now and said she wouldnt be without it smile

Concordia Sun 21-Aug-11 22:57:01

i am very pleased with my miele cat and dog (even though we don't actually have either). it was pricey though...

gailpottertilsleyplatt Tue 23-Aug-11 09:38:01

I bought a Hetty on the recommendation of several million MumsNetters and I'm not impressed. Find it difficult to clean stairs carpets. Wish I'd got another Miele.

ChippingIn Tue 23-Aug-11 09:43:11

I love Henry - best thing since sliced bread he is smile

Dyson - hate them.

Miele - very good.

(Gail why are you finding it hard to clean the stair carpets with Hetty?)

mollymole Tue 23-Aug-11 09:46:19

i love my Henry, even if he is heavy and falls over - he does get the carpets lovely and clean, especially when i remember to change the bag !!

i have had Dyson - found the suction feeble and it was selective as to what it would pick up

had a Hoover - constantly over heating

ohfuschia Tue 23-Aug-11 09:46:46

Had a Henry but now have a Miele Cat and Dog which I find much more effective.

strawberrypink Tue 23-Aug-11 19:28:41

vax have got some good hoovers and light weight not heavy to carry up and down the stairs. good suction

Thehusbandsatcricketagain Tue 23-Aug-11 19:53:33

agree with strawberrypink above vax,blooming good suction,fairly lightweight & good price

herhonesty Tue 23-Aug-11 21:49:53

Mile, wish I had bought mine years ago

herhonesty Tue 23-Aug-11 21:50:31

Sorry. Miele, obviously

CointreauVersial Wed 24-Aug-11 00:16:48

Miele Miele Miele!

Pricy, but OMG soooo much better than the crappy Hoover I had before.

Lizzywishes Wed 24-Aug-11 15:08:25

I've just changed my Henry for the smallest sort of Miele and much prefer the Miele. It's more effective and much easier to store. My cleaner recommended it - she has tried most sorts as she works in several houses.

everyonebutme Sat 27-Aug-11 18:10:32

Thanks for all your comments. I'm thinking about a Miele now but Which recommend Bosch - BSG8PRO1GB Home Professional for best overall. So I might have a look at that. Still not sure whether to get an upright or cylinder. Cylinders seem to come up better at cleaning and for stairs but in some ways it seems easier to whizz around with an upright.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sun 28-Aug-11 22:12:44

The only reason I love my Dyson is because it is so efficient. My cleaner uses her Henry, then I go over the lounge carpet with the Dyson and pick up about a quarter of a cylinder of dust and dog hair - and believe me I regularly hoover. The Henry picks up bugger all from a carpet.

northerngirl41 Mon 29-Aug-11 13:38:48

We have a Vax bagless cat and dog - much better than Miele cat and dog, Hoover, Dyson or Henry. And actually reasonably priced (got it in the sales).

WynkenBlynkenandNod Mon 29-Aug-11 20:00:22

I bought a Hetty when my Miele Cat and dog broke down. Thank goodness the Miele started working as Hetty was rubbish so I took her back to the shop. Heavy, hard to push the attachment over the carpet, didn't clean the carpet well and the height wasn't adjustable enough and it was a pain to put away and get out. I was practically crying with relief when I found that a bit of grit was stuck under the switch of the Miele and it worked again.

tiredgranny Mon 29-Aug-11 20:49:15

dyson pet are very good specially 5 year warranty that comes with it had few bits replaced they send me e mail when filters need washing impressed with the after service

MollieO Mon 29-Aug-11 20:58:42

Sebo. Fab. Have had mine 12 years. Copes with all surfaces (we have wood, tiles, carpet, rugs) and pet hair. Has a special filter thingy too and is light to use.

I have the very boring looking X1.1 model. They do a lot more models now than they used to.

MollieO Mon 29-Aug-11 20:59:23

Would help if I included my www.johnlewis.com/Electricals/Vacuum+Cleaners/Vacuum+Cleaners/All+Vacuum+Cleaners/Sebo/-/Brand/5069/0/0/ProductCategory.aspx blush

MollieO Mon 29-Aug-11 20:59:53

Try again here

everyonebutme Wed 31-Aug-11 07:38:41

Thanks for all your opinions. Think I'm going to go for the Miele Cat & Dog S5261 (cylinder). It comes second or third in Which reviews and a lot of you have recommended it. Glad a few of you agree on Henrys (some people seem to rave about them so I thought it was just me). In some ways I would still prefer an upright as they seem easier to work with but cylinder vacuums seem to work better overall and are better for getting along edges and in corners.

MollieO Wed 31-Aug-11 16:36:52

Sebo does well at getting in corners and you can get a powerbrush attachment for doing the stairs so no need to balance the upright half way up the stairs. Don't think it sells as many as Miele but is top for recommendation at John Lewis. It also has a HEPA filter so good for asthma conditions.

gettingeasier Wed 31-Aug-11 18:00:07

Sebo. I have an old upright and its hoovered through 2 major house extensions and gets a lot of use. Over 10yo now and as good as ever. However I saw them in JL the other day and they are expensive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now