Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Jam Making Virgin

(10 Posts)
TheJiminyConjecture Thu 18-Aug-11 15:47:45

I want to try and make some jams and chutneys this year, every year I say I'll have a go and never get round to it so this is the year. I've even got some books out of the library - that's right I'm serious!!

Can anyone recommend me a cheap pan that's suitable please? I've seen the Kilner ones for about £40 but can't really justify that much in case I make one batch and lose interest or find something else on MN to buy

Any tips gratefully recieved grin

Aseaandthreestars Thu 18-Aug-11 15:54:13

I just use a big, heavy-bottomed pan. I've got a proper preserving one, but it's at the back of the cupboard, so a big saucepan does the job.

I'd suggest you start fairly small - just a couple of lbs of fruit.

Have you decided what you want to make?

RueDeWakening Thu 18-Aug-11 16:15:37

Just use the biggest saucepan you have and only fill it about 1/3 of the way up.

Good luck! Jam making is fun grin

Clockface Thu 18-Aug-11 16:27:11

I use my pressure cooker pan (obviously without all the pressurey bits on top!) Enjoy yourself - I am going to be making chutney in a few weeks when our apples are ripe.

TheJiminyConjecture Thu 18-Aug-11 16:47:12

Oh brilliant! grin Thanks for your responses! Rue I think I'll need it!

threestars I was going to look for easy ones! I have some blackberries and was just going to see what the man has on offer in the market that would match with the easy recipes!

I'm hoping to be able to make a couple of jam types and Chutneys if I can.

Clockface Any chance of a chutney thread/recipe when you get round to it? [cheeky mare emoticon]

Clockface Thu 18-Aug-11 17:07:54

This is a good one that I've used before. We've got an absolute glut of apples this year so I'm going to be making lots of chutney, and also have a go at apple butter - never made that before!

Aseaandthreestars Thu 18-Aug-11 17:11:38

Blackberry is an excellent start. To have a better chance of a set it might be a good idea to use a bramley apple too as the skin has loads of pectin.

Have you got your empty jars ready?

cece Thu 18-Aug-11 17:13:51

I got my jam pan for a £1 from a car boot. Currently making apple and plum jam as we speak.

TheJiminyConjecture Thu 18-Aug-11 18:08:28

Ooh that recipe looks good! And most importantly not too difficult! Thanks.

I was going to buy some jars from here

Can't go wrong with apple 'n' blackberry!

cece Very jealous! A pound! Apple and Plum sounds great. grin

Aseaandthreestars Thu 18-Aug-11 20:05:07

I've used that company before - they're pretty good. These days I tend to just tend to keep coffee jars (and friends bring them to me by the bagful).

The recipe looks lovely and if my shelves weren't overstuffed with chutney I'd have a go at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now