Talk

Advanced search

strong air freshener

(5 Posts)
bambootoo Wed 17-Aug-11 08:39:53

We're moving into a house soo that has been empty for a while and has been locked up with a few strong airfresheners inside. I went in last night and I still feel a bit ill this morning.

Aside from get the windows open, is there anything I can plan to do to get rid of the smell when I move in? I think it will be in the carpets and I can imagine that it will really linger

HettyAmaretti Wed 17-Aug-11 08:49:20

Bicarb sprinkled in the carpets, left a while and hooverd up will help. Dito leaving bowls of white vinegar about. Boiling a big pan of water for ages and ages at the same time would probably speed things up, is there a stove? You coluld always do it on a camping stove I suppose.

I hate the smell of airfreshener, don't envy you one bit.

bambootoo Wed 17-Aug-11 09:45:22

Thanks, that sound good. Yes we've got a stove. The thought of it is really horrible and dont want to end up spraying more chemicals about..

nannyl Wed 17-Aug-11 10:57:31

eww

i moved into a house where the previous occupants smoked inside and tried to hide the smell with air fresheners...

ewww gross..... they had several per room. (it was a "clean" house though, she was very house proud)

BUT with all the windows open and air fresheners in the bin (I had more than a carrier bag full of airfresheners shock) it didnt take that long for the artificial and smokey smell to go.

bambootoo Wed 17-Aug-11 11:57:16

thats good news, I am worried that the smell will be in the carpets for ever and we cant afford to replace them for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now