Talk

Advanced search

Ironing!

(14 Posts)
gremlindolphin Tue 16-Aug-11 23:10:16

Just had to share with people who will appreciate it - I have just come to the bottom of my ironing pile and done the lot incl all our post holiday washing, duvet covers (yes I know!) and DH's shirts for the week plus an extra one for next week!

I am so pleased with myself, I have been doing it in short bursts over the week and I have done it!

Won't last long unfortunately.

xx

K999 Tue 16-Aug-11 23:12:42

Congrats!!! grin

I never see the bottom of my washing pile, let alone ironing!

gremlindolphin Tue 16-Aug-11 23:16:12

Thank you!

Dh could only grunt when I told him!

budgieshell Tue 16-Aug-11 23:18:01

I have caught up with my ironing over the summer holidays. I didn't realise how bad it was until I ironed a dress, the last time I wore it was the works xmas do.

carpwidow Wed 17-Aug-11 09:42:04

I don't have an ironing pile. Use easy-iron setting on tumble drier, shake things well, fold and put away in drawers. Each family member then responsible for ironing their own items as and when they need them - works really well smile

gremlindolphin Wed 17-Aug-11 21:22:22

Sounds like a good system carpwidow but I don't have a tumble driers and at the moment the dcs are a wee bit little to get them to do their own ironing!!

Something for the future.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 17-Aug-11 21:27:50

I am not a committed ironer, infact I loathe ironing, but I do like some things to be ironed.

So I put all dh's shirts away as soon as they are dry and he irons them when he needs them on a one at a time basis.

All the other things I like to iron - pillowcases, tablecloths and mine and the dc tops, basically - go on the ironing pile and occasionally I grit my teeth and do an hour or so of ironing in front of Homes Under The Hammer.

My big problem is where to keep this teetering ironing pile? We don't have a utility room.

Where do you all keep yours?

mousymouse Wed 17-Aug-11 21:28:45

I don't DO ironing. strategic drying all the way and dh does his own shirts.
but good for you, so satifying seeing the bottom of 'the pit' as we call it.

Carrotsandcelery Wed 17-Aug-11 21:31:26

bibbity the man who designed my Mum's kitchen is a genius, as in her utility room he put in a massive, deep, deep drawer to hide the ironing! It goes from worktop to kickboard envy

Carrotsandcelery Wed 17-Aug-11 21:32:12

P.s. Congrats on the ironing gremlin - that is, indeed, a monumental achievement!

carpwidow Wed 17-Aug-11 21:45:29

I think congrats are in order for bibbity too for surviving Homes under the Hammer!! ;)

gremlindolphin Thu 18-Aug-11 09:38:45

bibbity, my ironing lives in our spare room and then moves to our room when we have quests. It comes down to the living room on a Sunday night which is my ironing night - and I watch whatever TV I want while I am ironing!

CaptainMartinCrieff Thu 18-Aug-11 18:32:45

I need to tackle mine this weekend! sad

Red2011 Sat 20-Aug-11 20:06:40

Similar situation here to mousymouse. I don't do ironing. I seldom wear anything 'posh' that needs it, DH works for himself p/t and p/t for an organisation where casual clothing is acceptable. If I was to be going out somewhere special then I probably would iron whatever I was going to wear. Once I had located the iron. And figured out how it works.

I have a couple of friends who iron everything. Sheets, socks, pants, OH's cotton hankies.... they never ever get to the end of the ironing. Plus friend #1 who has 3 children (all 16+) does all their ironing as well as her own and her hubbies. Then complains that they never do anything around the house....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now