Talk

Advanced search

Do stainless steel pan handles get hot?

(8 Posts)
oooggs Tue 16-Aug-11 20:52:40

Now I have typed it, it sounds like a silly question!!!!

I have been looking at Stellar pans and many other makes and they have 'bare' stainless steel handles, does these get hot? Will I need to use a oven glove all the time?

What pans would you recommend?

Thank you

tallulah Tue 16-Aug-11 21:00:50

We've got stainless steel pans with bare handles and they do get really hot. Stupid design.

wicketkeeper Tue 16-Aug-11 21:18:10

I have had those Stellar pans for 11 years. On an electric hob, the handles don't get hot at all, and neither do the lids. But on a gas hob, they can get very hot, even though I don't let the flame 'lick' round the edge of the pan. To be honest, I don't like cooking on gas at all - I've burnt myself more often in a year of cooking with gas than in 10 years of cooking on electric.

BertieBotts Tue 16-Aug-11 21:21:50

I find they do, though not massively. I can hold them if I hold it at the end of the handle, though this isn't really that safe as it gives you less control, and makes the pan feel heavier. And it is hot enough that you don't want to be holding it for ages.

I have some with plastic coated handles and they are much better. They don't seem to melt or anything (and pans are handed down from my mum's old neighbour, so they have been in use a long time)

notcitrus Tue 16-Aug-11 21:27:54

Yes, I burn myself most times I encounter the things - most recently on holiday. Even on electric hobs.
Plastic or wooden handles are the way to go IMO.

mousymouse Tue 16-Aug-11 21:34:58

mine don't. pans are quite cheap ones from m&k the handles only get too hot to handle if I use a stovering that is too big for the pot.

oooggs Tue 16-Aug-11 21:53:49

hmm interesting - so much choice!!!!

I would still like stainless steel but with non bare handles. Meyer so some with silicon hndles - will investigate those further

thank you

Catsdontcare Tue 16-Aug-11 21:55:35

Le creuset stainless steel ones don't get hot at all. Neither do the lid handles

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now