Talk

Advanced search

Which wood oil and where to buy it?

(4 Posts)
Tobagostreet Tue 16-Aug-11 09:36:40

OK, so I've bought my first ever grown up living room furniture (as opposed to the Ikea stuff that required no maintenence) and lo and behold it arrived at the weekend, fully assembled (the joy!) but with a 'care instruction' leaftet.

Much to my dismay, this leaflet explains that not only do I need to dust said furniture often (ahem) but ALSO that I must oil it every fortnight for the first couple of months, then at regular intervals thereafter.

So my question is... which oil do I use (I'm looking for a brand here people, I'm guessing it's not the stuff I used on squeeky hinges) and where do I buy it (perused Tesco shelves yesterday and there was no furniture oil to be seen)??

Sleepglorioussleep Tue 16-Aug-11 11:16:42

I would check what kind of wood it is and then ask either the furniture shop or in a diy store/hardware shop. We have a table that needs oiling and it is a specific kind it needs-not necessarily the same as yours. Ours needs Danish oil and it wouldn't be appropriate to use anything else. Check it out or it might damage your lovely new furniture!

plusonemore Tue 16-Aug-11 13:29:05

when we bought out solid oak dining table the manufacturers said to use cricket bat oil on it. so every 3-6 months i give it a very fine sand and then oil, it comes up beautifully

hobnob Wed 17-Aug-11 09:54:36

Someone on MH recommended this and I've just sent off for it to do my wood table and worktops (which I've previously done with Danish oil and this can be applied on top with no problem):

www.wood-finishes-direct.com/products/wood-finishes/wood-oils/osmo-polyx-oil.htm

I've heard great things of it and my carpenter also recommends it. But yes, asking the shop in the first instance sounds like a good idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now