Talk

Advanced search

Crunchy towels

(13 Posts)
PrettyCandles Mon 15-Aug-11 21:13:21

Too crunchy!

I've recently changed from using Fairy Non-bio to Surcare Sensitive because of fragrance allergy, and my towels have become seriously crunchy and cardboardy. I like a slightly rough towel, but when it is so stiff that it doesn't even drape around me and I have fold it like cardboard - it's getting a bit ridiculous.

I don't use fabric conditioner, haven't done so for about 7y, and line dry whenever possible. I don't really want to start tumbling my towels to get them softer.

Any ideas how else to soften my towels?

DeepPurple Mon 15-Aug-11 21:16:02

grin I've no great advice but the image of you trying to fold a cardboard towel around you made me grin

I suppose you could try just a bit of fabric conditioner? Or just finish off drying them in the tumbler?

Seona1973 Mon 15-Aug-11 21:17:36

I think white vinegar can be used to soften fabrics - put some in the fabric dispenser when doing your wash

fanjobiscuit Mon 15-Aug-11 21:22:49

I iron scrunchy towels .

bamboobutton Mon 15-Aug-11 21:24:20

rinse them several times to get the detergent out completely.

or switch to soapnuts!!

smalltownshame Mon 15-Aug-11 21:28:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

carpwidow Mon 15-Aug-11 23:08:02

Yes - definitely a few minutes in the tumble drier - I do mine on an "easy iron" programme, which produces very little heat, but makes them nice and fluffy.

BettyBathroom Tue 16-Aug-11 05:36:09

Yep a five minute tumble will sort them out - I like crunchy towels, it's the only exfoliation my butt gets to experience.

nannyl Tue 16-Aug-11 09:02:31

give them a really good rinse (in machine) and put a splash in white vinegar in the fabric softener compartment

you could also soak then is a water / vinegar solution before a really good rinse (ie several rinse cycles) in the washing machine.

also dont let them get bone dry on the line.. bring them in a tiny bit damp, then rub the towel fabric together when its almost dry.

BikeRunSki Tue 16-Aug-11 09:04:44

White vinegar in wash. I have soft towels and no tumble dryer.

mousymouse Tue 16-Aug-11 09:20:18

do you have space for them to dry outside? the movement from the breeze helps softening them.
if you use softener they don't absorb the water as well.
I give the towels an extra rinse and another spin and then put them in the drier for 15 min before hanging them to dry.

PrettyCandles Tue 16-Aug-11 10:19:55

Thanks for the suggestions. I shall try them!

turdinator Tue 16-Aug-11 14:02:09

I read somewhere that you shouldn't use fabric softener on towels as it makes them less absorbent. Something to bear in mind. Although I know that goes against your problem of trying to make them soft!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now