Talk

Advanced search

how often should i wash PE kit?

(14 Posts)
farrowandballs Sun 14-Aug-11 22:56:50

I'm getting organised and excited about DS starting school, so thinking about things like packed lunches and PE kits and writing out new weekly schedules (I can dream can't I?). So I just realised that washing his PE kit might be something I could do less often than 'every time it's been worn'. But then wondered if I'm kidding myself... So I'm asking for advice/guidance from more experienced mumsnetters: How often to wash a PE kit? every time it's used? weekly? termly?
all guidance will be greatly appreciated. cheers.

carpwidow Sun 14-Aug-11 22:59:17

Sniff it and see wink

meditrina Sun 14-Aug-11 23:00:12

Sniff test - it's the only way.

You can go a long time at cute reception age between washes (especially in the cooler months). In what will seem like 5 minutes time, you'll have a stinky adolescent and it all changes.

Oh how lovely. How fast they grow. Sniff is right.

Wait til you have trainers you can smell a street away!

ChasingSquirrels Sun 14-Aug-11 23:21:25

ours comes home half-termly, or maybe even termly.

Ponders Sun 14-Aug-11 23:23:55

every half-term - if it comes home that often grin

infants kit doesn't really get dirty

BleughCowWonders Sun 14-Aug-11 23:25:05

Reception kit comes home only at half -term - and smells of Persil smile They spend 10 mins changing, 10 walking to school hall, 30 seconds doing pe then back to class. Kit is supposed to live in school at all times.

Now, by about yr 5, it'll be every time worn, especially with after-school sports practice. Gets definitely whiffy by then (and you might need a second set of kit if no tumble dryer)

Ponders Sun 14-Aug-11 23:25:06

remember to check plimsoll size because he probably won't notice if they get a bit tight

chickensaregreen Sun 14-Aug-11 23:26:36

I send PE kit home half termly. Not one child I have ever taught has asked to take it home mid termly. I do teach ks1 though, so not too smelly!

farrowandballs Sun 14-Aug-11 23:32:18

Oh thanks so much everyone. I shall look forward to sniffing then. <mists up>

gailpottertilsleyplatt Sun 14-Aug-11 23:34:54

DD's school send kit home every week! Sits in porch untouched to go back every Monday.

farrowandballs Sun 14-Aug-11 23:35:40

wow, took me so long to reply I missed most of these (distracted by kittens). half termly then eh? brilliant. I'll remember to check his plimsoll too. AGHHHH MY BABY IN PLIMSOLLS!! errr, sorry. This is waaaay too emotional for me...

LordOfTheFlies Mon 15-Aug-11 00:17:52

Our PE kits only came home at end of term.
My DS (who I'm glad to say is not a niffy armpit adolescent at the moment) is 11.6 yo so going to secondary in Sept.So will demand expect the kit home weekly.

May invest in Halo- they do one for sports gear and one for germy killing.

May be clever marketing ploy but willing to give it a try.

Ponders Mon 15-Aug-11 00:30:14

Lord, secondary kit generally goes in & comes home the same day - it doesn't get kept at school. & they have both games kit (for football etc, so it gets muddy) & PE kit, & those are usually different days. get a copy of his timetable asap & stick it up in the kitchen smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now