Talk

Advanced search

Wee on the carpet has stained black - help!

(8 Posts)
MissMarjoribanks Sun 14-Aug-11 22:55:41

My DS has a habit of making a run for it while having his nappy changed and about a month ago, weed on the carpet in his bedroom while doing so. We cleaned it up with carpet cleaner and then a touch of disinfectant (seperately, so they didn't react). It doesn't smell at all, so I am assuming it is clean, but I have noticed it has turned the light purple carpet black.

Is this the wee or the cleaning method? Any ideas of how I might be able to get it out? I have visions of a very stained carpet during potty training otherwise. Carpet is 80% wool.

Ponders Sun 14-Aug-11 23:01:07

no idea about the black, sorry. is it just on the surface or down in the fibres?

but for any future puddles, assuming you're there when they occur

blot with clean dry cloth (eg put towel down & stand on it)
flush with cold water
blot again with fresh cloth
sprinkle with dry bicarb or make wet paste to rub in
then hoover out when carpet is dry

that should leave no stain & prevent smell

rubyrubyruby Sun 14-Aug-11 23:05:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissMarjoribanks Mon 15-Aug-11 20:11:04

Thanks Ponders and Ruby. I will buy some bicarb. The black is down into the fibres. I've no idea whether DS had been dosed with Calpol before the wee incident but I will bear that in mind when potty training.

Would a spot of vinegar in water bleach the carpet if I tried to get the black out?

Ponders Mon 15-Aug-11 21:53:40

I had no idea about paracetamol doing that, ruby shock

I don't know about the vinegar, MissM, but it sounds as if it's worth trying - good luck smile

PotteringAlong Mon 15-Aug-11 21:59:15

You could try pet cleaner - sounds daft I know but it's made for cleaning up wee?

NB - I have no idea if it's the same or if it would work!

follyfoot Mon 15-Aug-11 22:01:34

I think you're right Pottering, thats what I was going to suggest. Simple solution (sell it at Amazon) works really well

MissMarjoribanks Mon 15-Aug-11 22:21:37

I'll get some of that Simple Solution stuff. It looks like the sort of thing they would sell in Lakeland, but don't, sadly, so I've no excuse for a trip. DH is going to do a hmm face at another type of cleaning product but given it was him who suggested I ask MN, he can hmm all he likes. grin

Thanks once again all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now