Talk

Advanced search

Gas hob flames almost invisible!

(10 Posts)
vintageteacups Fri 12-Aug-11 15:41:45

Hi - just moved house (army quarter) and I have two ovens; one electric and one gas. The gas hob and oven is sitting right in front of the window and when you turn it on, you can only just see a bit of blue flame - the rest is invisible.

I have reported it but they're not coming out until next wednesday.
Anyone had this and know why it's not burning bright blue? I'm sure it's not to do with being in front of the window. The cooker top is white.

When I turn it up and down, you can't tell what's happening.

Paschaelina Fri 12-Aug-11 15:45:22

Mine does this when i'm about to run out of gas as its connected to bottles (no piped gas here). If you're on mains gas I might suspect a blockage in the line or maybe the gas jets on the hob itself.? (I have no real idea, just throwing suggestions out). Does it affect both oven and hob?

vintageteacups Fri 12-Aug-11 15:59:39

Thanks Pascaelina - Nope - only the top hobs. It's coming out of all jets - just not in a very visbale way!

Paschaelina Fri 12-Aug-11 16:11:15

confused Do your pans get hot enough to cook?

vintageteacups Fri 12-Aug-11 16:13:31

yep - the power is all there - just can't see anything. My fear is the gas going out and me not knowing - not sure if it's a cooker that cuts out if gas blows out.

vintageteacups Fri 12-Aug-11 16:13:45

or kids not realising it's on and touching it

Paschaelina Fri 12-Aug-11 16:18:10

Do you know what? Looking at this site which is what a quick google lead me to, I would be inclined to stop using it and shout very loudly for someone to look at it ASAP. None of the pics look like what you describe so I would be very cagey about using it at all until a plumber has looked at it.

vintageteacups Fri 12-Aug-11 21:51:32

Thanks again - glad you found it. I will call them the company who we report faults to again tomorrow morning. She gave me next wednesday but tbh, looking at that, it may be that the gas should be shut off and looked at asap.

So glad you linked it - will use the electricone from now on until problem fixed.

PattySimcox Fri 12-Aug-11 23:56:23

DH (gas engineer) reckons your burners or injectors are blocked with goo from other peoples cooking and need a clean in hot soapy water

vintageteacups Sat 13-Aug-11 09:06:38

Okay (that's fab patty). I'm off to wash them all again now and see if it makes a difference - mumsnet is so helpful! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now