Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a top loading washing machine?

(11 Posts)
NationalTruss Wed 10-Aug-11 23:02:59

We're reorganising our downstairs loo/utility room and it seems like the only way we can fit in a washing machine and tumble dryer and not block the window is to get a top loading washer as it's so much narrower. Has anyone got one and are they any good?

HerRoyalNotness Wed 10-Aug-11 23:10:44

I have a fisher and paykel. Love it very much, had it for about 8yrs with no trouble (it's now in storage).

http://www.fisherpaykel.co.uk/

Oh, and that had been shipped across the world too

NationalTruss Thu 11-Aug-11 21:20:56

Thanks! They look great but unfortunately don't seem to be for sale in the UK...

CHBitchy Thu 11-Aug-11 21:34:10

have always had a top loader. have used front loaders before with uni/rented property. only real difference I found was that you don't have to bend down so much to load and unload the laundry. Can do the thinner summer duvets in ours with ease.

NationalTruss Thu 11-Aug-11 21:50:58

CHB: any brands you recommend/avoid?

ninedragons Fri 12-Aug-11 13:42:46

We have the cheapest top-loader we could get our hands on - it's so cheap doesn't even have a brand. It has worked perfectly for three years now.

They do use a little more water than front-loaders but they're fantastic. You can open the lid and drop in the extra bits of washing you always find the second you press the button.

The only appliances I would avoid are Haier and (contrary to previous poster), Fisher & Paykel. My experience is that both are very unreliable.

NationalTruss Sat 13-Aug-11 22:47:53

Just went ahead and got one. New ignorant question: do I just use ordinary washing powder?

Ponders Sat 13-Aug-11 22:50:16

top loaders are supposed to last a lot longer than front loaders because they spin vertically (I don't think I made that up!)

I think you can use any detergent in them including powder

ninedragons Sat 13-Aug-11 23:23:07

I am not sure - I am in Aus where they're a lot more common than the UK, and the supermarkets sell top loader powders and front loader powders. I have no idea what the difference is!

CHBitchy Sat 13-Aug-11 23:26:53

Sorry for not getting back to you with brands. we just normal power. There isnt any distinction between types in the UK.

Just watch how much soak flakes you use if you chose to use them. I put in the amount i would use for a front loader and ended up with a machine that refused to wash due to the amount of foam. Easily solved but check the amounts.

put tablets into machine as normal on the top of the load. power into the appropriate slot as needed. the only thing that I can't get to work are the tablets that go in the drawer of a front loader.

strictlovingmum Sat 13-Aug-11 23:36:57

We had "Hoover" top loader for six years now, perfectly happy with it.
It has 6kg load, so useful for that bit extra that needs to be squashed in.
I recommend it highly, unlike first top loader we had, Whirlpool 10kg one.
That was just rubbish, it is made for U.S market, so no internal heather, it has to be connected directly onto the hot water supply, by the time it started washing on hot wash water would be luke warm, resulting in unwashed laundry, so no for Whirlpool I am afraid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now