Talk

Advanced search

Mattress recommendations?

(4 Posts)
monal Wed 10-Aug-11 17:07:29

I want to order a king size mattress for my parents who live in rural Scotland; I live in France so I can't really help a lot with putting it in. They have been sleeping on the same foam mattress since before I was born and I am 32. I changed their sheets when I was visiting last weekend and basically the only thing holding it together is the mattress cover. I would like for them to have a comfortable firmish not-too-thick mattress, to replace what they have, but I don't think it needs to be massively high tech because at this point I am convinced anything would be an improvement. But there seems to be an endless amount of choice and I don't know if there are some I should absolutely avoid or what the gold standard in mattresses would be.

They are not really up to lugging such things upstairs, so I am also looking for recommendations of companies that will deliver and put it in place, and also with any luck take the old one away, if anyone has any ideas.

MayDayChild Wed 10-Aug-11 18:54:12

Does the bed need replacing too? Is it a divan (box under mattress usually matches mattress) or do they have a frame?
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend John Lewis for anything home related and they will deliver.
If not, google for a local small independent bed shop near their house and email them for advice.
A pocket sprung medium to hard mattress will do fine and should cost £400-£800.

smalltownshame Wed 10-Aug-11 22:36:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Artura Thu 11-Aug-11 09:24:06

We've just got a wonderful bed and mattress from Warren Evans http://www.warrenevans.com/
They've got a sale on. We got a sienna mattress which is SOOOO comfortable. They're based in London but delivered to us in the North West. They assembled it all for us. Would definitely recommend them (we have 3 of their beds now).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now