Talk

Advanced search

Condensing or vented tumbler drier?

(19 Posts)
Putthatbookdown Tue 09-Aug-11 21:26:31

Any advice?

StealthPolarBear Tue 09-Aug-11 21:28:18

<lurlks>
considering a condensing one as venting involves opening window and dangling hose out...but think venting ones are prob better

AvrilHeytch Tue 09-Aug-11 21:28:22

Message withdrawn

LauraIngallsWilder Tue 09-Aug-11 21:32:52

Condensing

deffo a better option - initial cost is more but its so much easier to just empty the water drawer afterwards.
I still open a window but no need to mess about with an elephant trunk dangling out of the window and potentially moving the TD nearer said window.

PersonalClown Tue 09-Aug-11 21:34:37

Condensing. I love mine and I don't have to empty the water thingy as mine pumps it out just like the washing machine [smug]grin.

coccyx Tue 09-Aug-11 21:37:05

Spend a bit more and get a condenser

AnnoyingOrange Tue 09-Aug-11 21:37:56

I don't like my condensing dryer, it takes much longer than my vented one [cross]

gettingeasier Thu 11-Aug-11 11:23:02

Just read on another thread that vented uses more electricity

I bought my expensive vented one here to my new house and there is an ok condenser the previous owners left behind

What to do ?

Cattleprod Thu 11-Aug-11 11:26:25

Condensing. No faffing around with hoses. We got one secondhand for £99.

AvrilHeytch Thu 11-Aug-11 14:31:28

Message withdrawn

wicketkeeper Thu 11-Aug-11 16:20:16

condensing - you don't need to leave a window open (security), plus you don't end up with the whole room running in condensation. Tumble driers are expensive full stop - I dry outside whenever possible, then stick them in the tumble drier to finish off if I need to.

PhyllisDiller Thu 11-Aug-11 20:23:47

Condenser, you can keep it anywhere then even if it’s not near a window.

I have a condenser and at some point in the future the plan is too plumb it in to the waste water pipe so I don’t need to bother emptying it.

Ponders Thu 11-Aug-11 20:28:46

vented are supposed to be more effective according to Which iirc (will look it up in a sec).

no idea about condenser efficiency vs vented, but not having to keep a window open to vent out of must save a bit in the winter!

(I have vented, connected to a proper hole in the wall with a cover on the outside, & it works really well)

Ponders Thu 11-Aug-11 20:32:52

From Which (NB 'Choose a poor condenser dryer and you'll still have to cope with damp air and the possibility of mildew' so check out the reviews!)

Electric vented tumble dryers
Vented tumble dryers take warm, damp air from the drum and vent it out through a hose. Almost all vented tumble dryers are electric.
Pros Electric vented tumble dryers are cheaper and generally use less energy than condenser models.
Cons Vented tumble dryers need to be positioned near a window or door to vent the air away.
Vented tumble dryer prices
About £100 will buy you an entry-level vented tumble dryer. A top-of-the range vented model will be about £700.
Best Buy vented tumble dryers start from around £180.

Electric condenser tumble dryers
Electric condenser tumble dryers remove moist warm air from the drum. It's then cooled inside the machine, and the resulting water is collected in a removable reservoir.
Pros A condenser tumble dryer can be installed anywhere – it doesn't need to be near a window or wall. Because water from the drum is collected, steam isn’t an issue.
Cons Choose a poor condenser dryer and you'll still have to cope with damp air and the possibility of mildew. You need to empty the reservoir regularly.
Condenser tumble dryer prices
About £150 will buy you an entry-level condenser tumble dryer. A top-of-the-range condenser model will be about £800.
Best Buy condenser tumble dryers start at around £280.

Fizzylemonade Fri 12-Aug-11 08:27:06

I went for AEG sensor condenser 4 1/2 years ago, think it was amazing, it sits on top of my washing machine so drains into the same drain, just bought a drain kit from on-line parts company.

I had an 9 year old bosch washing machine (stay with me) and it broke and I couldn't get the part for it as it was considered old shock so I replaced it 3 months ago with an AEG washing machine. I increased the spin speed from 1200 to 1400.

The washing is usually stuck to the drum it spins so fast and I honestly didn't think it would make much difference but it has reduced the tumble drying time down by about 1/3.

Just a thought!

gettingeasier Fri 12-Aug-11 10:12:17

Thanks Ponders I will try and find the energy ratings/reviews for my machines

Just as info I bought a kit from Comet for £15 which is a hose into a box fitted on my vented dryer which has enabled me to use it even though its not near a window etc. Looks a bit Heath Robinson but seems to be doing the job

Earwiggy Fri 12-Aug-11 16:17:19

Another advantage of a condenser in winter is the heat it produces stays in the house. I plan my drying to when I will want downstairs a bit warmer and it makes a suprising difference.

Putthatbookdown Sat 13-Aug-11 16:55:18

My friend has a vented drier with the vent at the front so she does not need a hose etc so she can put it anywhere

Ponders Sat 13-Aug-11 20:08:08

mine is vented at the front too but it still needs a hose (unless I want a room full of hot damp air grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now